Shower fixing through stud wall

Hilldes

Hi, just finishing installing shower mixers and trying to stay one step a head of the plasterers. the shower mixers have two wall mounted outlets - one rainfall head and one shower hose. They both have half inch threaded connectors for the pipe which has washers and a nut that fixes to the rear of the board that will be tiled. I was saying to the plasterers we can't board the back of the stud wall behind the showers until we have tiled the shower area - as there will be no way to access the nut to fix the shower outlets. Plaster said in all cases the plumber just exposes the threaded fixing through the wall and the outlets (chrome parts) are fixed from the front later, after tiling. Here is a pic of the kit I have...

IMG_1833.thumb.jpg.a1e6985691d4286cc88f65e7bbdfccd4.jpg

Does anyone know if the brass threaded parts unscrew from the chrome parts - so the brass item can be pre-fixed to the wall?  If yes, how can the brass parts be fixed in place - a second nut?

I've used exactly these products before, but had access from the rear of the stud wall for fixing.

A proper expert will follow this up with the right terminology.

However, as you, I found this confusing when I did it (all myself)

The plumbing in the wall should be fixed now, with a connector that protrudes from the wall to accept your fittings.

That connector should be fixed very hard to something solid, and it is normal to have board backing or a stud to do this, in case anyone hangs off the shower.

I also came across a very handy adjustable fitting for the valves,  as getting the protrusion length right is important, and there areboards and tiles to come.

btw I discovered 'Hardybacker' and will always use it in future.

All that was 2 years ago and I have forgotten details as you can tell.

these may be the things, but experts with better memories are  needed, and I am happy to be corrected.

Victorian Plumbing - Fast Fix Kit Bracket for Bar Shower Valves EFK001Screwfix.com - Flomasta Compression Adapting 90° Wall Plate Elbow 15mm x ½" (92934)

13 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

A proper expert will follow this up with the right terminology.

However, as you, I found this confusing when I did it (all myself)

The plumbing in the wall should be fixed now, with a connector that protrudes from the wall to accept your fittings.

That connector should be fixed very hard to something solid, and it is normal to have board backing or a stud to do this, in case anyone hangs off the shower.

I also came across a very handy adjustable fitting for the valves,  as getting the protrusion length right is important, and there areboards and tiles to come.

btw I discovered 'Hardybacker' and will always use it in future.

All that was 2 years ago and I have forgotten details as you can tell.

these may be the things, but experts with better memories are  needed, and I am happy to be corrected.

Victorian Plumbing - Fast Fix Kit Bracket for Bar Shower Valves EFK001Screwfix.com - Flomasta Compression Adapting 90° Wall Plate Elbow 15mm x ½" (92934)

Sort of, just don't use a compression fitting like that but a solder one.

Thankyou proper expert.

I think watching a tutorial on youtube was where I realised this actually works (ends up in exactly the right position, and doesn't leak., with the fittings done from the right side (don't need the other wall off). There will be a good video in among the rubbish. 

21 minutes ago, James Newport said:

There's usually a little grub screw you can undo with an allen key.

Can't see any grub screws, but looking down inside the threaded section it has a hex shape opening, so will try to remove from the chrome fitting. Thanks also for the link - much appreciated. 

Here we go, picture heavy!

I used one of these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-end-feed-adapting-90-wall-plate-elbow-15mm-x-/91665?kpid=91665&ds_kid=92700055281954514&ds_rl=1249404&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuIqVhqSp8wIVC7TtCh1QqA3mEAQYASABEgIMuvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Securely screwed with st/st screws:

20180421_123520

Copper to brass soldered joint:

IMG_20180531_213839991.thumb.jpg.11e31655c30c12231364c59b8e7aa34a

20180604_183346

23 ish turns of PTFE tape around this:

20190121_213840

Wind in with a cut down allen key, I did:

20190121_213909

20190121_213929

20190121_213939

20190121_214034

More in my bathroom thread.....lots more!

• Like 1