Patchy tiles

CotswoldDoItUpper

We’ve just had our tiles laid and they’ve gone patchy! They’re 15mm Egyptian natural limestone (not sure the country of origin makes a difference!!) they were laid with mapi flexible adhesive over a ditra mat. Some of it was quick drying some not. Then it was sealed, grouted and washed twice. The sealant was lithofin stain stop.

Any ideas why they’re like this?!?

thanks!

AEE7EC49-6E00-499D-B7FA-15B969FFA03C.jpeg

In my humble opinion your information suggests that the tile is reacting from the back of the tile not being sealed.

It could be that this is moisture from the adhesive trying to get out and it may eventually sort itself out.

Tiles stuck on, grouted and sealed in swift time could be a reason espically with a natural product.

M

9 hours ago, nod said:

I’m not sure how he will remove the sealer 

If it was applied correctly Two coats 3 hours apart 

It will have soaked right through the tile 

one coat before grouting. I questioned this too and to be fair the instructions on the packet of lifofin said 1 coat and maybe re-do high traffic areas every 1-2 years

According to an email I’ve seen from lifofin if it’s removed with ‘mn wax off’ left for 5-7 days to dry then sealed with ‘mn stain stop’ it should be ok. 

does this sound right in your experience?

1 hour ago, nod said:

I think he may end up taking the tiles up 

He should know that you have to be so careful with limestone 

That’ll be tricky. The kitchen arrives on Monday. And the tiles were on an 8 week delivery!

ffs. I hope not, I’ll be seriously pissed if he’s ruined them. Any other fixes? 

will it dry further/wear off over time? Like 2-3 years?

should we turn the UFH on gently to help them dry out? Either before or after the sealant has been removed/re- done?

Edited by CotswoldDoItUpper

1 hour ago, nod said:

I’m guessing your tiler is pretty inexperienced 

A real basic error 

Hopefully he can get them looking half decent 

As far as I can tell, and from recommendations, he seemed ok. Team of 7 too (I only saw 4 different ppl over the 4 days it took to lay 55sqm).

fingers crossed that the results will be ok.

I’ll keep BH updated..

We did pretty much what your tiler did. Layed the stone, waited 24 hours and sealed it with one coat then another 24 hours and grouted them. We put on another two coats later. Not sure its his fault unless the stone was soaking wet. If it was saturated he probably should have waited before sealing.

Think I would try pointing a fan heater on one spot in a less conspicuous area to see if drying it will fix the problem.

11 hours ago, Temp said:

We did pretty much what your tiler did. Layed the stone, waited 24 hours and sealed it with one coat then another 24 hours and grouted them. We put on another two coats later. Not sure its his fault unless the stone was soaking wet. If it was saturated he probably should have waited before sealing.

Think I would try pointing a fan heater on one spot in a less conspicuous area to see if drying it will fix the problem.

it wasn’t soaking, I assumed the moisture was from the adhesive underneath?

did yours look like ours after one coat? 

fan heater sounds like a good idea - will give it a try, he is back tomorrow to strip them and then in a week to re seal. 

So the sealant has been removed this am. 2 hours to remove 55sqm. And think there are bits where there is still some left as it feels greasy. Assured that this is the damp. 

it has made a bit of a difference in some areas, less white, but my baseline tile still looks awful. 

Now have to wait 5-7 days for the tiles to dry out. Can’t see it making any difference to be honest. 

081F3621-F112-47C3-B7A7-E3DA2758C344.jpeg

23 hours ago, CotswoldDoItUpper said:

did yours look like ours after one coat? 

No, we had no blotches at all. Just a very slight colour change when sealed but it can't even remember if it went darker or lighter is was so minimal. Sorry.