Flooring treatment advice - ply

Chef40

Hi,

id be really grateful for any advice please… I’ve built a garden building to serve as a shed and workshop (good quality and fully insulated)… I’ve laid class 3 (exterior) ply on the floor but don’t know whether it’s worth treating it with anything for when a wet tractor mower etc. goes on it.

I plan to lay some cheap rubber floor mats but they’re unlikely to be fully waterproof.

I was looking at Sikaguard universal 5 star wood treatment and/or Thomson’s waterseal but I realise it may be completely unnecessary.

any thoughts much appreciated.

thanks.

I would use 2 or 3 coats of good quality Matt floor varnish - easily done using a cheap sweeping brush and a washing up bowl or a roller on a pole. Also worth buying some 4x 1/2 planed to use as a skirting board and seal this to the boards as it will stop leaks running under the edges. 

Other option is garage floor paint which is equally as good and similar price to varnish. 

2 hours ago, markc said:

Water isn’t a problem but oil, petrol etc dripping from a mower will sink straight in and become a permanent stain. Sealer doesn’t need to be anything special inside.

Thanks - not too worried about staining as the ply is under the rubber flooring but want the building to last…

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

I would use 2 or 3 coats of good quality Matt floor varnish - easily done using a cheap sweeping brush and a washing up bowl or a roller on a pole. Also worth buying some 4x 1/2 planed to use as a skirting board and seal this to the boards as it will stop leaks running under the edges. 

Other option is garage floor paint which is equally as good and similar price to varnish. 

That’s really helpful, thanks. I’m not too worried about aesthetics because I plan to put rubber tiles down but I do want the building to last a loooooooong time (it’s cost be heaps!) - would you recommend doing something vs nothing? Thanks!