Wheelchair lift - provisional pit while I can ?

Not old yet, so this is only 'provisional' but would it make sense to have a pit below my provisional wheelchair lift shaft?

It seems most of them don't need a pit (probably since they're often installed after the build when people age) but since it's so easy right now...

9 minutes ago, puntloos said:

Not old yet, so this is only 'provisional' but would it make sense to have a pit below my provisional wheelchair lift shaft?

It seems most of them don't need a pit (probably since they're often installed after the build when people age) but since it's so easy right now...

I have had one put in ,we are unlikely to need it anytime soon as we have all the living and sleeping on the ground floor but there is going to be around 130m2 of usable roof space and by the time we have the money to do something with it a lift might be necessary ?.

On 23/07/2021 at 20:17, Buzz said:

I have had one put in ,we are unlikely to need it anytime soon as we have all the living and sleeping on the ground floor but there is going to be around 130m2 of usable roof space and by the time we have the money to do something with it a lift might be necessary ?.

"one" - a lift? or a pit?

What did it cost?

7 minutes ago, puntloos said:

"one" - a lift? or a pit?

What did it cost?

We have a pit ready to take a lift in the future , as you say most of the retro fits do not require a pit but having one available does mean all options are available when/if we want one . 

As for cost a few meters of beams missing and a few blocks not laid vs a bit of extra insulation and detailing cost neutral .

pit.jpg

• Like 1

Funnily I was thinking roughly the same thing about getting a garage pit. Seems almost 'cost neutral' to dig a bit of a sleeve into my garage. 

Thing that stopped me was worrying about my kid falling in but perhaps I can create something reasonably safe..

13 minutes ago, puntloos said:

Funnily I was thinking roughly the same thing about getting a garage pit. Seems almost 'cost neutral' to dig a bit of a sleeve into my garage. 

Thing that stopped me was worrying about my kid falling in but perhaps I can create something reasonably safe..

I can remember my late fathers workshop had a "pit" which had concrete blocks as steps leading down to the bottom and cut down scaffold boards laid into a small recess across the top when not in use to stop me running in and falling to the bottom.

1 minute ago, Buzz said:

I can remember my late fathers workshop had a "pit" which had concrete blocks as steps leading down to the bottom and cut down scaffold boards laid into a small recess across the top when not in use to stop me running in and falling to the bottom.

That sounds fairly reasonable indeed. Especially a thick/heavy enough board should be sufficient to prevent a young kid from getting under it.