Self Build in Kent

BenP

Hi all, 

I've been meaning to say hello for a while - hoping I could share some more detailed info of the project we're just embarking on! 

I'm an architect and have finally got into a position to undertake a self-build. The project is an extension and renovation of an 1860's cottage which is rather small at present. We will be going from 55sqm to circa 135. First phase is the extension and we are adopting PH principals (airtight, triple glazing, reasonably well insulated, MVHR) - phase 2 will be the refurb of the existing cottage element later down the line (over insulating, new windows, doors etc). 

I'm enjoying the chat and info here already. Through the job we're generally presented companies and products via CPD and sales - it's nice to see and hear people recommending products from experience, likewise suppliers etc. 

I'll be managing and undertaking a lot of the build myself. Contracted works so far are groundworks and timber frame (stick build on site). 

For anyone on Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/crouch_bungalow/

I'll hopefully start a blog soon. Let's see how much time I have...

Cheers. 

BP

Enscape_2021-03-04-14-42-20edit.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome, Mr Ben (Couldn't resist, sorry).

Looks very interesting.

I'll be very interested to hear reflections from an architect on the self-builder side of the fence. Have you considered a blog?

Looks really interesting - that part of Kent is a lovely area where I have family; it always makes me think of Bilbo Baggins and the Shire.

Ferdinand

• Like 1

On 28/07/2021 at 07:41, Ferdinand said:

Have you considered a blog?

Yep - It's something I really must do. It seems too easy to take a million photos these days so it would be good to have something all in one place with commentary!  

1 hour ago, BenP said:

Yep - It's something I really must do. It seems too easy to take a million photos these days so it would be good to have something all in one place with commentary!  

Photoblog.

With Construction Lolcats.

Kitten-Kong.jpg