Creating a low threshold

Jilly

Doing a stable conversion/ retrofit.

My new patio doors have a usual threshold and the bottom comes to the level of the DPC (150mm). I've spoken to BC and they are happy that I make this the disabled access, so is there a way of bringing the screed up to near the edge of the patio door to create a low threshold (I didn't think ahead on this)?

It would let me get more insulation in for the UFH, but would create an awkward detail and the screed might crack there. Would a paint on DPM on the inside of the door threshold  be a good idea? 

Is there any way you could post a sketch of the section through the threshold?  Do you need to adjust both inside and outside levels?

If this is not actually going to be used for wheelchair access you could just bodge a transition ramp that is later removed.

Can you see what I mean from this? Yes, I need to adjust inside and outside levels. I think BC want something permanent. Maybe I could ask the window people if they make something?

1859737817_Patiocorner.thumb.jpg.53f5d2e1de3cf571bbe723d1ef79171e.jpgwebwindowcornerdetail.jpg

Edited by Jilly

There are standard aluminium sections that create the final slope up to the threshold, and you can use slabs/tiles up to that point.

i don't think this needs much thinking ahead  really. construct your floor, then locally make the necessary ramp. ditto outside.

In the worst scenario if standard sections don't quite  work you can get a local ramp made precisely  out of chequer plate. 2 pics below

image.jpeg.5ca51438093eab385647bd6d01e53f55.jpegimage.png.4ddfa9221381cc97d35fae979a7d1fa3.png

• Like 1