MVHR differences

Not sure to be honest. Put your plans in an email to Bpc Ventilation and Gary will get back to you with whatever you need. The majority of people here have used him as on price he is hard to beat. He is based in larne if you want to visit him.

Mine is a counter flow system, vent axia, and my air is never dry. Not sure it's even possible as it's only fresh air from the outside that gets pumped back into the house that gets some heat from the out going air transferred to it in the heat exchanger.

I had looked into a unit from Systemair (recommended by someone who has had it for nearly 10 years with no issues), who do the wheel type unit. These used to be popular in the Scandi countries in the early days of MVHR units but are being phased out.

My research indicated the following -

Lower heat recovery efficiency

More wear and tear parts in the unit

Possibly noisier

They were popular in very cold countries as they eliminated the risk of frosting up but this has been dealt in other ways.

Upon probing Systemair they agreed that thier newer  units were being replaced with the more efficient counterflow  type heat exchanger with no moving parts. When I looked only their smallest units had been switched  over.

Thanks for the replies Declan and Ryder72. In terms of  ducting, what size and type of pipe does your system use or recommendations? 

Declan-how long is your MVHR installed? Would you recommend it? I've two prices for this brand. Speaking to someone and they prompted me to have a think about a thermal wheel which he claimed was better in terms of allergies. None of the household have asthma or anything like that but suffer from hay fever. Maybe im overthinking MVHR! 

The system for your house will depend on its sq ft. If you go onto https://www.bpcventilation.com/heat-recovery/complete-diy-kits you will be able to get a rough guess of what suits your build. My system is the vent axia on that page.

It's been installed 2 1/2 years now and the biggest compliment I can say is you don't notice it. It works away with no input from me. It clears the house of smells and moisture so it never feels stuffy. I think having clean fresh air in the house is of more of a advantage than the heat recovery aspect. The fact that it does both is a bonus.

As far as allergies go you can put different filters in to whatever system you pick to help with whatever is affecting you. It's a two minute change to do.

Gary is a member here as well so drop him an email with your plans and compare all the prices you get.