Acceptable bow on oak beam

willbish

8 minutes ago, willbish said:

It's air dried constructional European.

I've got 700mm to cut off one end which reduces the deflection a little but not as much as I was hoping as the bend is in the middle.

Air dried is great. Any natural beam is going to have some bends or twists. What will it be used for? will it be in tension or compression? You need to work on it continuing to more over time.

Edited by markc

Given that they are for cosmetic purposes, I would say it all adds to the character of the beam. We too have a couple of oak beams which are simply cosmetic and we chose to have them "shaved" / "have the edges rounded off" in places, to reduce the "squareness" of their appearance, if that makes sense. A couple of images might help in understanding what it is I am trying to say!

DSC01010 (2).JPG

DSC00973 (2).JPG

Edited by Redoctober
to create a gap between photos.
  • Like 2

Looks great,

Reminds me of a Pub we did, two massive douglas fir beams approx 500mm square and 6m long ... treat them like they were made of glass, white gloves etc so no finder prints, wrapped with paper before the lifting strops, over shoes while we walked across them .... came in later to finish the roof off and the Architect had a group of locals in to beat the beams with pieces of chain to distress them ... think they were old bike chains! oil, dirt and hand prints all over them

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Redoctober said:

Given that they are for cosmetic purposes, I would say it all adds to the character of the beam. We too have a couple of oak beams which are simply cosmetic and we chose to have them "shaved" / "have the edges rounded off" in places, to reduce the "squareness" of their appearance, if that makes sense. A couple of images might help in understanding what it is I am trying to say!

DSC01010 (2).JPG

DSC00973 (2).JPG

Looks like an adze finish, beautiful.

• Like 1

I could not afford to buy oak so salvaged it from a big oak tree that fell down on my road, got a mate to slab the trunks and I turned the bigger branches into roof ties, my dad is a dab hand with an  axe so the finish was very authentic. 

17F35859-4408-429B-AF02-AB682201CD4D.jpeg

5DD2EF89-2737-4878-AEAA-7AA70A64BBC0.jpeg

8E4CEAA9-E0C8-4054-9691-D283A0DC914F.jpeg

Edited by Cpd
  • Like 6