Introduction and our first question - misting, fire suppression systems

AnthonyOlsen15

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are just in the process of purchasing a our plot to build a carbon neutral family home. We have been looking for land for 6 years and are so please we never gave up on our dream even with all the setbacks you have along the way. We are working on plans and our living room will have a staircase as a focal point which also means you will come down the stairs and look out through a large glazed section into the garden. Our architect has said we need to have a misting fire suppression system fitted to allow this configuration so I wanted to know if anyone out there has had one of these systems fitted and if so, do you have any recommendations or advice?

Many thanks, Tony and Carole

Just about to install mist systems for 2 clients' builds ( England ). I have had sprinklers fitted for previous clients ( in Wales ) but what a total and utter ball-ache in comparison with a mist system......pumps, tanks, digging up for bigger cold mains at 32mm and more.

The mist systems are timed output so will not put more than 90L of water into a property, so a full activation and suppression cycle will be the equivalent of you filling the bath and flipping it on its side. No big deal in the grand scheme, but microscopic in consequence compared to the deluge and material losses suffered with a sprinkler activation.

Main control box / pump set for mist is about twice the size of a shoebox, needs a 13a fused spur, and only a 15mm cold mains with no crazy ( often unachievable ) criteria for supply pressure and flow rates as will be the case with sprinklers.

Mist system is a no-brainer, and not much more expensive than sprinklers, sometimes cheaper if you need to dig up and replace the main / install a pump etc etc.

• 1 year later...
On 20/06/2021 at 19:43, Nickfromwales said:

Just about to install mist systems for 2 clients' builds ( England ). I have had sprinklers fitted for previous clients ( in Wales ) but what a total and utter ball-ache in comparison with a mist system......pumps, tanks, digging up for bigger cold mains at 32mm and more.

The mist systems are timed output so will not put more than 90L of water into a property, so a full activation and suppression cycle will be the equivalent of you filling the bath and flipping it on its side. No big deal in the grand scheme, but microscopic in consequence compared to the deluge and material losses suffered with a sprinkler activation.

Main control box / pump set for mist is about twice the size of a shoebox, needs a 13a fused spur, and only a 15mm cold mains with no crazy ( often unachievable ) criteria for supply pressure and flow rates as will be the case with sprinklers.

Mist system is a no-brainer, and not much more expensive than sprinklers, sometimes cheaper if you need to dig up and replace the main / install a pump etc etc.

Nick, I am interested in a misting system.  Can I ask you how much you charged to set them up for your two customers in England?  I understand that I am not allowed to install one on a DIY basis? We are currently at a first fix stage in our house.

On 14/09/2022 at 20:45, Shoestring said:

Nick, I am interested in a misting system.  Can I ask you how much you charged to set them up for your two customers in England?  I understand that I am not allowed to install one on a DIY basis? We are currently at a first fix stage in our house.

Hi. 
I sourced a 3rd party company and commissioned them to undertake the turnkey installation on my behalf. I do this with multiple different disciplines now, PV / MVHR etc. 
Contact Sian at Firemisting Ltd Link as they travel countrywide, as do I, which is handy. 
They’ve done a great job so far, and are due back to 2nd fix for me November. 
I am only supplying them with a 15mm dedicated cold mains supply and an unswitched DP 13a fused spur for power. 
Only a certified designer can specify and install the system, btw, so you won’t get a commission only package from anyone reputable. Nor would you want to?

Stay clear of iMist, their price was nearly double what I paid.

When I said no thanks and disengaged with them I got pestered continuously by email asking me to proceed. 
I said no thanks again, after they then started ringing me as well as emailing me, and they knocked a grand off. Then did that again, and again until I got so pissed off I wouldn’t have used them anyway, even if they became cheaper.

On 16/09/2022 at 07:28, Nickfromwales said:

Hi. 
I sourced a 3rd party company and commissioned them to undertake the turnkey installation on my behalf. I do this with multiple different disciplines now, PV / MVHR etc. 
Contact Sian at Firemisting Ltd Link as they travel countrywide, as do I, which is handy. 
They’ve done a great job so far, and are due back to 2nd fix for me November. 
I am only supplying them with a 15mm dedicated cold mains supply and an unswitched DP 13a fused spur for power. 
Only a certified designer can specify and install the system, btw, so you won’t get a commission only package from anyone reputable. Nor would you want to?

Many thanks for this info Nick, I shall look into this.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 19/06/2021 at 17:35, AnthonyOlsen15 said:

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are just in the process of purchasing a our plot to build a carbon neutral family home. We have been looking for land for 6 years and are so please we never gave up on our dream even with all the setbacks you have along the way. We are working on plans and our living room will have a staircase as a focal point which also means you will come down the stairs and look out through a large glazed section into the garden. Our architect has said we need to have a misting fire suppression system fitted to allow this configuration so I wanted to know if anyone out there has had one of these systems fitted and if so, do you have any recommendations or advice?

Many thanks, Tony and Carole

Hi Tony, interested to hear how you got on with installing a mist system and which company you used? Thanks.