Draft 3d Renders - any comments / suggestions

Nicely balanced for its size.

If I was going to be critical, I feel the eaves are too wide on the central/main roof area. I would have it larger than on the two smaller, lower roofs either side, but just a little smaller than shown.

The risk is the 2nd floor front dormers would look a little squeezed, and I don't think they should be pushed together any closer (rear dormers could come in a little). It's the sort of thing you need a few iterations of to get the combination that works - but perhaps your architect has done this already.

The stone surrounds on the windows also look a little too "heavy" to me, although they look better in the photo-realistic image you posted rather than the PDFs. This maybe a lack of detail in the CAD model and the shadowing used for the renderings, but maybe they protrude too far.

Is that a public road directly in front? Could the property be pushed a little further into the plot?

The high grey stone walls of the lower ground floor look imposing on the rear. Could the ground be brought up to reduce their height, raised planters perhaps to soften it with some foliage.

What's your plans for heating & cooling?

Edited by IanR

Thanks for your really useful and insightful comments

Happy to share the floorplans, although the ground floor is very much WIP , the 1st and loft is closer to final.

Didn't want to spend too long in case, the planners introduce any further constraints

Yes. we wanted the house as far away from the road as possible, but the planners have told the architects they want it to be as close to the footprint of the house that it is replacing.

The plan at the moment is for ground source heat pump, and underfloor heating throughout

SK 01 GF PLAN REVE.pdf SK 02 1F PLAN REVE.pdf SK 00 SITE PLAN REVD.pdf SK 03 2F PLAN REVD.pdf

21 minutes ago, rakesh_cardiff said:

The plan at the moment is for ground source heat pump, and underfloor heating throughout

It's a good plan, assuming you have the land for ground loops. Assuming good insulation and air tightness, heating shouldn't be a problem via GSHP, but are you working on the heat & cooling requirements yet?

If you don't mitigate the solar gain through those south facing windows it's unlikely GSHP alone will provide sufficient cooling. The mitigation required may need changes to the rear elevation to incorporate them.

I really like the curved windows in the sun room / family kitchen, but they may prove difficult to screen externally.

Edited by IanR

Fortunately we do have a large plot (circa 3 acres), but the consultant has suggested that vertical bore holes are more cost effective and his recommendation. rather than horizontal loops.

Thanks for the making me aware of the potential solar gain issues... had not fully considered this aspect.

They did say that introducing the reverse (cooling) on the GSHP inverter would mean the system was not eligible for the government grants. 

Been discussing the introduction of a full MHVR system... would this help with cooling

Prefer a fabric / shading approach.. 

@IanR sound likes this is an area of your expertise, any practical / pragmatic suggestions are really welcome

I'd check the prices on both, anecdotally ground loops are far cheaper.

You need to be quick if you are expecting to benefit from RHI, it stops in April 2022  I believe... (Checked and scheme closes to new applicants 31.03.2022)

I thought cooling was allowed now on RHI, at least on ASHPs it is.

MVHR does not shift enough volume of air to effectively cool, it can trim temperatures at best. Shading works, but less effective on the inside of the window, external shading is much more effective.

19 minutes ago, rakesh_cardiff said:

@IanR sound likes this is an area of your expertise, any practical / pragmatic suggestions are really welcome

Definitely not an expert, but you'll see this is all a much talked about subject here, with a lot of people that have put it into practice.

Edited to add:

Practical advice - Highly Insulate, highly airtight (sub 1 ACH), if you want a lot of south facing glazing then integrate a way of externally blocking it out with external blinds, overhangs or bris soleil, pay for detailed thermal modelling. I'd recommend PHPP even if not considering Passivhaus certification. Consider all of this before settling on the final appearance.

Edited by IanR