New sewer connection

Moonshine

I have appointed a ground worker to do my dropped kerb and new sewer connection to my plot.

I have applied and received the crossing license so that seems fine (i have the license printed out to put out on the road), and have applied to the local water authority for the new sewer connection, the contractor has submitted their RAM's to the local water authority and i am awaiting for approval.

The will need to be a lane closure for both the dropped kerb and new sewer connection.

There are a few things that concern me as it seems that the GW may have omitted, and i want to make sure that everything is o.k before they proceed.

• I presume i need the formal go ahead from the local water authority before they start the excavation to the sewer (the GW implied they would start without the o.k from the LWA)
  • What other licenses does the contractor need in place before starting work, from reading this https://www.belowgroundsolutions.co.uk/new-sewer-connection-faq/ it seems that they a section 50/171 license as well? i want to make sure they do.

Yes you need to apply to the Sewerage Provider for a new connection.  They will have a form where you indicate how you will connect and pipe materials and sizes (existing manhole, new manhole, external backdrop, splay, saddle etc).  It is fairly inexpensive.  They rarely inspect the work, but do take some photos as evidence.

The part 2 form that the contractor (or you on there behalf) asked for evidence of certification, training and insurances, along with escape plans and gas monitoring etc. About to 

start my own part 2 application next month, I am expecting a reply from my designated engineer (details given when my part 1 and fee was approved) to say we are good to go once he approves the part 2 forms, We then tell him 5 days prior of our intention to start and each day have to call in to United Utilities to say we are working on their sewer network. Like Mr Punter says once forms are approved they don't take a lot of notice so long as your connection is to approved standard and you keep them informed through the process.