Package Deal Price Opinions

Hello,

Attached is the latest quote I have had for a full plumbing, heating & hot water quote for my new build which is a 250m2 detached house with underfloor heating to the whole ground floor, including the double garage. This firm come very highly recommended by a friend of mine who is a director of a very large building firm. The attached quote is for everything, supply and install all pipe work, underfloor heating, rads upstairs, towel rails, ASHP, HW tank, user interface, manifold, thermostats - basically everything. The quote is £4.5k cheaper than the last one and uses better components but (as you will notice) it's still a decent wedge and so I'm interested to hear from people who know if this is a fair price. 

I am aware that if I split it down I could reduce the cost, but I like the idea and convenience (and come back) of one firm being responsible for the lot and I'm happy to pay for that provided the price is fair. This like the last quote, this one didn't specify a buffer tank which I see are frequently recommended on here, should I ask them to price for one? I will ask for a Magnaclean and an extra tap outside to the front but that's obviously neither here nor there really. JFYI - My intention is to mate this to a PV system which has batteries but that diverts to the emersion prior to charging them.

This part of the build has given me the biggest headache from the start, I'm just trying to get a great system that's fairly priced. I hope this is it, I notice from a quick Google that to buy the ASHP and cylinder alone with nothing else & no controls etc is £10k. So really, I guess the question is, is all the other stuff they are supplying and fitting worth another £17k?

Thanks in advance,

Matt.

Plumbing & Heating Quote.pdf

Our job was pretty much as you describe above and as per the quote (270m2, 16kw Hitachi ASHP, 300l tank etc), and it came in at less than £18k about 4 years ago.  Obviously areas vary, and prices are only going one way, but it looks like there's some room for negotiation in there.

8 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

Our job was pretty much as you describe above and as per the quote (270m2, 16kw Hitachi ASHP, 300l tank etc), and it came in at less than £18k about 4 years ago.  Obviously areas vary, and prices are only going one way, but it looks like there's some room for negotiation in there.

Thanks, was that will all the other plumbing in the house, rads, towel rails, underfloor heating + user interface etc? Thanks again, sounds like you can make a fair comparison. 

43 minutes ago, Matt60 said:

Hello,

Attached is the latest quote I have had for a full plumbing, heating & hot water quote for my new build which is a 250m2 detached house with underfloor heating to the whole ground floor, including the double garage. This firm come very highly recommended by a friend of mine who is a director of a very large building firm. The attached quote is for everything, supply and install all pipe work, underfloor heating, rads upstairs, towel rails, ASHP, HW tank, user interface, manifold, thermostats - basically everything. The quote is £4.5k cheaper than the last one and uses better components but (as you will notice) it's still a decent wedge and so I'm interested to hear from people who know if this is a fair price. 

I am aware that if I split it down I could reduce the cost, but I like the idea and convenience (and come back) of one firm being responsible for the lot and I'm happy to pay for that provided the price is fair. This like the last quote, this one didn't specify a buffer tank which I see are frequently recommended on here, should I ask them to price for one? I will ask for a Magnaclean and an extra tap outside to the front but that's obviously neither here nor there really. JFYI - My intention is to mate this to a PV system which has batteries but that diverts to the emersion prior to charging them.

This part of the build has given me the biggest headache from the start, I'm just trying to get a great system that's fairly priced. I hope this is it, I notice from a quick Google that to buy the ASHP and cylinder alone with nothing else & no controls etc is £10k. So really, I guess the question is, is all the other stuff they are supplying and fitting worth another £17k?

Thanks in advance,

Matt.

Plumbing & Heating Quote.pdf 1.33 MB · 8 downloads

Is it really 10k fir the ASHP and cylinder with no controls? Doesn't seem right to me.

I paid 6k for a 300l pre plumb cylinder and 8.5kW ecodan with FT6 controller. Yeah you've got a 14kW version but a smaller cylinder. I cant see how you get to 10k without the controller?‍♂️

27k fir plumbing...I would not pay that for something that's easy to do yourself. My build is 270m2, 4 bathrooms/enuites and a Cloak. UFH on ground and first floor, done it all myself. Got my ASHP/cylinder to install at some point.

It's all easy but if you haven't the time then I guess you have to pay. 27k seems a hell of a lot though. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Matt60 said:

Thanks, was that will all the other plumbing in the house, rads, towel rails, underfloor heating + user interface etc? Thanks again, sounds like you can make a fair comparison. 

Yes, the whole job.  UFH downstairs, rads upstairs, two towel rails, 8 zones with individual room stats (JG).

As @LA3222 said, most of it is diy'able. Now I've seen it done, I could have done a better job myself...