outbuilding on boundary - fire strategy

Moonshine

I am proposing an outbuilding that is going to be on the boundary of the plots

image.png.a101701f41c8dc212645f7a8e67c9026.png

Due to it being on the boundary it need fire protection and BC approval, this would usual be done with block.

However i want to build out of timber with insulated walls, speaking to building control i can line the internal with fireboard, and the outside with a product like cedral.

Though interestingly the BCO said that i could have this one boundary wall as block and the rest as timber.

any ideas?

I had a similar issue, garage on the boundary with block construction with timber cladding . BC actually suggested fire retardant paint, just for the timber cladding on the boundary side but I decided to render instead as it can’t be seen due to hedging. Not sure if fire retardant paint would be enough for timber frame as well.

54 minutes ago, Bonner said:

Not sure if fire retardant paint would be enough for timber frame as well.

I asked the question and they said no on timber frame, it would need to be a product like cedral on the timber frame.

The reason i want timber frame it to maximise the internal space and have the insulation within cavity. If i use block then i will have to have internal insulation, and lose a bit of space.

I don't understand the insulation unless this is going to be heated.  Rendered blockwork is probably cheapest.  You could add IWI later if it is needed but what do you propose for the floor?  I think the roof would be the most important element to insulate if you want to prevent condensation dripping.