New Service - Great Result from Western Power

EquiumDuo

Was expecting a nightmare after reading horror stories of people asking for a 100 Amp service and getting a bill for 15-20k etc. So I was pretty anxious about the upcoming request.

Started to go through the online application, and its really thorough, and very confusing. Spoke to some friends who were electrcians and I was worried about asking for the wrong thing.

I just put the least amount of info as I could, request a single phase 23KVA connection and also checked the box for the planner meeting.

I should not have worried, Wetsern Power planning was fantastic. Called me same day from the local office to arrange a meeting at my site. Met the guy next day to discuss what I wanted. Talked through my nice to have vs must have's. The guy was really understanding, and helped guide me to choosing a 3x60A 3ph supply. Also informed me that, assuming I had the roof space (I don't) I can install 3x G98 approved solar installations (1x per phase) and he reccomended I try and get 3phase equipment where I can to spread the load. It also means that I can pre-wire the house for multiple 22KW car chargers (one outside, and one in the garage).

I received the quote later that same day, £1400 to install the line (they dig up everything, I am fortunate to be living on a road with the cable under the pavement in front fo my plot. I have to supply the fence posts for the temporary box and then get the meter installed by my distributor of choice. Fantastic service. I know they get some stick(and rightly so) for the DNO's but I was so impressed. Pretty much 48hrs from submitting the request online, to having my on site meeting and receiving the quote.

When I accept the quote they officially have 90x days to perform the work, but I am targetting July for my utitilites install, and they said that was fine.

Happy days! Still a long way to go, but I'm grateful.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EquiumDuo said:

Was expecting a nightmare after reading horror stories of people asking for a 100 Amp service and getting a bill for 15-20k etc. So I was pretty anxious about the upcoming request.

Started to go through the online application, and its really thorough, and very confusing. Spoke to some friends who were electrcians and I was worried about asking for the wrong thing.

I just put the least amount of info as I could, request a single phase 23KVA connection and also checked the box for the planner meeting.

I should not have worried, Wetsern Power planning was fantastic. Called me same day from the local office to arrange a meeting at my site. Met the guy next day to discuss what I wanted. Talked through my nice to have vs must have's. The guy was really understanding, and helped guide me to choosing a 3x60A 3ph supply. Also informed me that, assuming I had the roof space (I don't) I can install 3x G98 approved solar installations (1x per phase) and he reccomended I try and get 3phase equipment where I can to spread the load. It also means that I can pre-wire the house for multiple 22KW car chargers (one outside, and one in the garage).

I received the quote later that same day, £1400 to install the line (they dig up everything, I am fortunate to be living on a road with the cable under the pavement in front fo my plot. I have to supply the fence posts for the temporary box and then get the meter installed by my distributor of choice. Fantastic service. I know they get some stick(and rightly so) for the DNO's but I was so impressed. Pretty much 48hrs from submitting the request online, to having my on site meeting and receiving the quote.

When I accept the quote they officially have 90x days to perform the work, but I am targetting July for my utitilites install, and they said that was fine.

Happy days! Still a long way to go, but I'm grateful.

Good result ?

Sadly I have a not-so-great experience and a request for G99 consultation has been met with 'only if you pay for the transformer upgrades required' and when I enquired what that might cost I've had nothing.

Going to start with some G98 and then add more later.

To be fair, the helpdesk responds fairly quick, but the actual engineers/ network planners seem to be snowed under and not responding.