Self Builders in Caithness

peteypops

Evening all,

My wife and I and my three children moved to Caithness a year ago from Cambridgeshire and are hoping to build a Passive(ish) House in the are. We have a design we want to build and are in the process of tying down the budget and built system while simultaneously negotiating the purchase of a plot.

We are going to manage the project ourselves and will be doing almost the entirety of the second fix ourselves (barring the plastering which I CANNOT do. Man's gotta know his imitations right?

We are currently look at  MBC Insulation,  ECOSips, Eden Insulation and a local carpentry outfit of some repute. We are also working with Es Tresidder, a passive house consultant www.HighlandPassive.com who has been outstandingly helpful.

This is a little visualisation I whipped up -

1164745492_EastWatten.thumb.jpg.00582e0b4a9713a6fc7f57d00355d4de.jpg

Edited by peteypops

Hi and welcome.

Moving from the flatlands of Cambridge to the flatlands of Caithness you should feel at home.

Plasterers are a rare breed up here, it is far more common for plasterboard just to be taped and filled up here.

Thanks Dave,

I'm getting that impression, however from what I'm learning taping is not the unskilled job people seem to think and I've seen a few dodgy examples up here already.

It's all part of the fun of planning a build :)

Edited by peteypops