Skylight on garden office

Lakuzy

Hi, I am new here, I am building my garden office, due to some alteration the building is about 2.56m (overall height) 60mm taller than the 2.5m required within 2m of boundary, at the eave is 2.5m. Thouhh I do not think any of my neighbours will report this, however if the LP do find out, could it result to anything serious? 

Secondly, I am planning to put velux dome skylight on the roof, is there any regarding skylights on outbuildings as I could not find anything apart from the Class C - alteration to roof.  I am worried that if my building is already 6cm taller than 2.5m overall height, will adding a skylight be OK? 

5 minutes ago, Lakuzy said:

Thouhh I do not think any of my neighbours will report this, however if the LP do find out, could it result to anything serious? 

They are very unlikely to find out unless someone complained. Then the planners may come and take a look. As its only very slightly taller they may decide to call it 2.5m high and go away. If they were real jobs worth types on a mission they may ask you to make a retrospective planning application so they get the application fee. In theory that planning application could be refused but I think that would be extremely unlikely unless there are other factors that mean it doesn't meet the permitted development rules (eg more than half the original garden  built on). 

I believe the skylight would count towards the overall height but I'd still go ahead with that if it was me. 

How big is the floor area? Have you checked if Building Control Approval is required?

Thanks all for your reply, I am using velux dome flat roof polycabornate with a base kerb of 150mm. I expect the window to arrive today. Because of the slope of my roof, this would be ideal skylight to shed water away. The skylight is 900 x 600mm and the floor area is about 10 squares meters. 

5 hours ago, Lakuzy said:

Thanks all for your reply, I am using velux dome flat roof polycabornate with a base kerb of 150mm. I expect the window to arrive today. Because of the slope of my roof, this would be ideal skylight to shed water away. The skylight is 900 x 600mm and the floor area is about 10 squares meters. 

Thank you all again for your response.

I have seek advice from my local council and thought I will share their response

"Good afternoon

Thank you for your email. The general rule for sky lights is that they do not protrude any further than 150mm above the roof. I believe this would be permitted development to add these to the roof which is already 2.5 metres high as long as they do not protrude any higher than 150mm"

So I am going ahead with my build.

Cheers