Only Boarding One Side of Metal 'C' Studs

I've gone ahead and put up some metal C studs to bring the existing walls in line with the extension (new cavity walls). One side I've used 50mm C studs and the other 70mm as there was more room (both sizes at 600mm centres).

The height of the studs are just under 3m, I had to splice extension on to the 50mm ones (with 600mm overlap) as I could only get my hands on 2.7m lengths of 50mm.

The 50mm studs are close the existing wall at the bottom but are about 50mm out at the top because the existing wall has moved over time. The 70mm studs are about 200mm away from the wall, as they have been set to go flush with a steel beam rather than the cavity wall.

I've been able to secure the top/bottom tracks to the concrete subfloor and the ceiling joists above. The end studs are quite tricky to secure to the existing building, but I've secured them to the tracks using suitable fixing. The 70mm side will be boarded with 12mm ply and then plasterboard (as it will be holding kitchen units), the 50mm side will have some 12mm ply where the TV will be hung, but the rest plasterboard and then a layer of plasterboard over all of that (so that the ply is covered).

I've seen a post where @nod has suggested supporting studs by fixing pieces of track to the wall and to the C stud. I wanted to confirm if that was the best option in this case, and what centres to put these supports for the 50mm & 70mm studs please?

70mm Studs.jpg

50mm_Studs.jpg

Edited by HaloThree
  • Like 1

Looks ok

you need to brace off the wall

Two on each stud 800 and 1600 off the floor 

As you say a piece of track bent at right angles and a pan head in either corner to hold it in place 

Fire it to the wall and two more pan heads through the track and stud 

• Thanks 1