Stop Tap Advice (Scotland)

AndrewR

Is there a plumber (in Scotland) who can give me some advice please?

In my field there is an animal's drinking trough with a fill level which is maintained by a ballcock. I want to turn off the water supply to this trough.

I have found what I believe to be the stop tap, adjacent to the trough, but it is not like anything that I have ever seen before (photograph attached). This 'stop tap' was 1ft below ground at the base of a vertical piece of clay pipe with an access cover, thus I assume that it must be the stop top. I can't turn it however, so I've cleaned it up and soaked it in plusgas. I'll try again at it tomorrow.

Is this type of stop tap familiar to anyone and if so how easy is it to free? The top section appears to be all one solid piece of brass with screw threads fixing this to the pipe base. Is this the way to turn the valve, by rotating all the whole top section in its thread?

Advice appreciated.

IMG_0532.jpg

Hi it’s a standard (Toby ) that’s what it’s called in the west of Scotland, if you have a standard water key it will fit on to the flat bit which you need to turn a quarter turn, if you look just now the flat bit is in line with the pipe below 

turn it a quarter turn so it is across the pipe 

it usually doesn’t mater if you turn left or right but turn it clockwise ,  some time they are very tight but it will go.