Studio outbuilding advice

glasslady

Hello everyone,

I have planning permission for an outbuilding. 8.5 x 3 m

I have had ridiculous quotes for over 30k!

So thought I could do it cheaper than that.

I plan to build single skin block work and clad in wood (eventually, planners made me do it).  My planning expires this November so there is a sense of urgency to get it out the ground.

Can you please advise me on footings? 

How deep (on clay ground) should I dig my footings?  I thought 1m but when we built our big extension it ended up 2m deep but that was for a cavity wall build. 

I am also wondering how much cement to pour (in depth), should it be 450mm or more?

Then what blocks do I use for the first few courses?  I think they should be more engineering blocks or something like that.  Its not a big building it is only single skin, I don't want to end up putting all my money in the ground.

Advice appreciated.  I have the digger booked so I need to give him instructions on what to dig.

All help very much appreciated, thank you.

First question - does it need to be blockwork ..? 

You could do this with a timber framed building sat on piers or screw piles, and remove the issue with having to clad block in timber. 

Using modular timber - even SIPs - would be quick and easy and also not need the deep foundations of a standard build. Is it a simple apex roof ..? Single pitch..? Flat ..??

In addition to PeterW's post above if you've an extension that was 2m deep for foundations and you wanted a solid floor, instead of screw piles you could pour a raft foundation that the timber framed structure sat on top of. I definitely think timber frame is the way to go. At only 3m wide it's a very short span.

What's the intended use of the building? This will help advise on structure, insulation, soundproofing, etc.

7 hours ago, PeterW said:

First question - does it need to be blockwork ..? 

You could do this with a timber framed building sat on piers or screw piles, and remove the issue with having to clad block in timber. 

Using modular timber - even SIPs - would be quick and easy and also not need the deep foundations of a standard build. Is it a simple apex roof ..? Single pitch..? Flat ..??

I felt I needed block work as it seemed more secure to me.  When I looked into the cost of a timber building of any quality they were nearly as much as the quotes I was getting for a builder.

I also don't have a clue where to start getting SIPs etc.

Originally I had planning for the same building, a little further from the house, and planners wanted it block built and rendered to match the house.  We have now turned it 90 degrees and moved it closer to the house (inevitable if you turn a building around) and they stipulated they wanted it clad in wood.  I really don't understand their thinking and hope they drop that in time, I am going to ask if I really have to clad it.

6 hours ago, Dudda said:

In addition to PeterW's post above if you've an extension that was 2m deep for foundations and you wanted a solid floor, instead of screw piles you could pour a raft foundation that the timber framed structure sat on top of. I definitely think timber frame is the way to go. At only 3m wide it's a very short span.

What's the intended use of the building? This will help advise on structure, insulation, soundproofing, etc.

It is going to be my painting studio for the glass.  At the moment I paint and fire the glass in our converted double garage, but its a dusty environment for painting glass.  We originally asked planners for a mobile home for our daughter (temporarily) as she needed to return home at short notice, but three years in planning and a lot of red tape, they eventually said they wanted a proper building but it could have no plumbing etc, this meant the consent was useless, and, our daughter in all that time married her partner and moved away anyway!

So rather than let the planning lapse I decided it would be a great space for my glass.  That is why its the size it is, basically the size of a mobile home.  Dorset planners!

We think building it would at least mean it would count towards our overall footprint if we want to knock down our house and rebuild it at a later stage (it needs it as its freezing in the winter and boiling in the summer).

SIPs sound expensive and I have no clue what to ask for.  I only have basic plans as there was no building control needed. I am more confused now, I need to make a decision before the digger comes, he will want to know what I am wanting him to do.  I don't know if my idea for footings are overkill.  I know a shed would only need a slab but I did want a building to last

Keep the advice coming, I do appreciate the help as I am at a loss.  Once I get started I will be fine, once I know what to do.