Escape Windows

ashthekid

I'm told I definitely need an escape window in the master bathroom which is just off the bedroom in the top right bedroom and the top hung Velux window is directly above a bath. this is required to be no more than 1100mm from FFL.

My question is:

I'm not quite sure if the Velux window in the nursery bedroom requires an escape window as well because the room is directly accessed from the landing/top of the staircase. Is this correct or do I still need one? I would prefer not to as the vaulted ceiling is quite low and would be annoying to have to put another escape window in so low in there. I just wanted to check what the building regulation was on this?

I assumed the master bathroom needed it because it was a room within a room that didn't have direct access to the staircase, whereas this nursery bedroom does.

052D9585-BB42-4ADE-BB3C-49CBDB81836F_1_102_o.thumb.jpeg.5634e73f2c862763e561fcb73738fc70.jpeg

Your building control should be pretty clear on this ALL Rooms above ground floor will need an escape Bathrooms are exempt 

I wouldn’t of though the landing would need an escape either 

I know I didn’t bother 

As above. All habitable rooms on the first floor would require a window or door that is suitable for means of escape. A connecting door between two adjacent rooms is also deemed acceptable subject to one of those rooms being provided with an escape window/door.

If you are unable to provide escape windows/doors to the habitable rooms that require it, you will need to provide a protected staircase with a door leading to a final exit. You do also have the option of providing a secondary means of escape but this is very rare for dwellings.

Bathrooms and En-suites are not habitable so do not require an escape window/door. Ask your BCO where in the BR’s it states this as a requirement?