Confused around permission for a patio

Cheesy Crumpet

Hi everyone, Looking for some advice. We are in the process of building a raised patio on the back of our extension. My neighbour has just called around and said they are not happy with the height and we need planning permission.
I'll be honest I was ignorant to us needing permission of any kind but was aware that the height may be a slight issue (the plan was to have screening plants to enhance both ours and their privacy)
I've looked into the 300mm rule but I can't figure out where to measure from and to? Is it the original house before the extension? The highest point of the patio (the garden slopes away) Or somewhere else?
Thanks in advance

Screenshot_20210410-083202.png

So it looks like you’re barely at 300mm anyway with 4 bricks, assuming it’s the neighbour to the right complaining .??

And its measured next to the house. The Technical Guidance note shows height as :

“Height” - references to height (for example, the heights of the eaves on a house extension) is the height measured from ground level. (Note, ground level is the surface of the ground immediately adjacent to the building in question, and would not include any addition laid on top of the ground such as decking. Where ground level is not uniform (for example if the ground is sloping), then the ground level is the highest part of the surface of the ground next to the building.)

You could put some 400 mil dpc against the adjoining wall before compacting the hardcore It will isolate the patio from them 

Then crack on 

Remember neighbors are always expert on planing permission ?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Presumably you will need paving on those bricks, but as @PeterW says, barely over the 300mm. Have you any design drawings for your extension with heights?. Just raise the ground beyond the brick wall a few inches.

Even with 2 course and paving it is measured at the house so unless the house is set a long way down (unlikely) then it’s fine. 

@Cheesy Crumpet your issue may be the 50% rule as that extension plus paving cannot be more than 50% of the area of the garden. 

6 hours ago, PeterW said:

So it looks like you’re barely at 300mm anyway with 4 bricks, assuming it’s the neighbour to the right complaining .??

And its measured next to the house. The Technical Guidance note shows height as :

“Height” - references to height (for example, the heights of the eaves on a house extension) is the height measured from ground level. (Note, ground level is the surface of the ground immediately adjacent to the building in question, and would not include any addition laid on top of the ground such as decking. Where ground level is not uniform (for example if the ground is sloping), then the ground level is the highest part of the surface of the ground next to the building.)

Perfect, that pretty much says it all. If I take the measurement from the Yorkstone that formed the floor of the outbuilding we took down (build in 1886) then the measurement is under 240mm. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cheesy Crumpet said:

Garden length is 60 72 foot from the new extension

So nowhere near the 50% ?

2 hours ago, Cheesy Crumpet said:

Perfect, that pretty much says it all. If I take the measurement from the Yorkstone that formed the floor of the outbuilding we took down (build in 1886) then the measurement is under 240mm. 

go tell your neighbour. ?

• Like 1