Considering Nu-Heat

MortarThePoint

Tin hat on as I know there isn't much love to nu-heat around here. I'm considering them just for the UFH, no the ASHP itself. Their initial price was ridiculous, but having basically said I could easily get equivalent parts from X or Y for half the price, an ask the manager conversation narrowed the gap to near reasonable. They have set up a system with lots of zones which I know is debatable, so I'll look into that and see how much it reduces things to have fewer (also remove any UFH for the hall/landing if they've done that).

Has anyone actually gone with Nu-Heat and have any direct experience beyond the quote stage? Ultimately, is their product good, mainly the 14mm Fastflo tubing and Optiflo manifolds? Those are the hardest parts to replace.

Am I correct in assuming that there is a standardised thread for actuators and so I can swap those easily enough?

Nu-Heat's electrics look to be Heatmiser rebranded so no major concern there (?) They seem to use a Wilo Para SC7 pump.

I have looked at Wunda and is another key option, but I'd like to understand more about Nu-Heat as there is lots of information on here about Wunda installs (probably for good reason).

Edited by MortarThePoint

Would be interested to see how they compare on price. Pumps are pumps, but from what I understand the NuHeat branded stats don’t talk to the heatmiser app or any of the core products so you have to go to them when anything fails. 

9 hours ago, PeterW said:

Would be interested to see how they compare on price. Pumps are pumps, but from what I understand the NuHeat branded stats don’t talk to the heatmiser app or any of the core products so you have to go to them when anything fails. 

I'm stripping there system back to the actuators and possibly the wiring centres so won't be using their thermostats. I'll then be enacting my own centralised control system with remote wireless temperature sensors.

1500m of tubing, three manifolds (5, 7 and 11) with actuators and wiring centres, clip rail tracks, pump, expansion vessel, design etc for a bit over £3k. If I put together a similar basket at WundaTrade it's £2k, but I can't see an expansion vessel on Wunda so I'm not sure what the score is there (suspect it's this for £54).

If the parts are truly equivalent, it's basically £1k for the warranty, design an support. With no experience of fitting UFH before, the design and support could be very valuable to me.

The designs Wunda will do for you for free - and their tech support is at the end of the phone. 

There is only 12 months parts warranty on the NuHeat stuff. The only thing that goes wrong is the actuators or the pumps and they are change of £25/£100 respectively. 

If you send me the £950 I’ll give you a 5 year parts warranty on the moving parts too ... and I’ll probably still have £950 at the end of 5 years !!

• Haha 1

Nu-Heat use a 14mm PE-Xc tube whereas most places I compare to would be based on a 16mm Pert-Al-Pert tube. Does anyone know the difference and which is better?

Fastflo® PE-Xc tube

Nu-Heat’s Fastflo® tube is a PE-Xc pipe. It is extremely strong and cannot be damaged easily – it would have to be physically punctured on-site to suffer from a leak.

PE-Xc is a high-density polyethylene tube that is made up of five individual layers before being physically cross-linked. Cross-linking is essential as it enables the tube to remain strong whilst being flexible, helping to prevent kinking or damage to the tube during installation.

https://www.nu-heat.co.uk/blog/a-closer-look-at-fastflo-tube/

Just now, PeterW said:

There is only 12 months parts warranty on the NuHeat stuff.

The big one there is the 50 year warranty on the pipes which also covers the full cost of the remediation. If that covers the floor finish replacement as well (which I'll check) then your potentially looking at insurance against a worst case of ~£15k. Unlikely I'd hope, but still has a value, to me of perhaps 10% of the UFH cost which works out as 1.5% of that worst case.

Mechanicals wear out and are easy to replace as long as fittings are standardised.

Pipe doesn’t wear out. It fails due to damage, which is not in the warranty. 

PE-Xc is just their way of not saying PErt-Al-Pert or PEX-AL-PEX. It is 5 layer cross linked poly which is exactly what everyone else uses. They even state that here :

Although the majority of UFH tube in the market is the same, many come with different warranties ranging from a couple of years to full lifetime warranties

Their warranty is only 10 years according to the website too..?? Polypipe and ProWarm are 50 years, Wunda is 100 years .....

https://cdn.wundatrade.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/P01-Pert-Al-Pert-Pipe-fact-sheet.pdf

10 minutes ago, MortarThePoint said:

Mechanicals wear out and are easy to replace as long as fittings are standardised.

Just on standards, the standard for PEX/Pert is 16/2 dia/wall. That’s Euro standard. 

nuHeat use 14mm .... non standard ... 

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Pipe doesn’t wear out. It fails due to damage, which is not in the warranty. 

PE-Xc is just their way of not saying PErt-Al-Pert or PEX-AL-PEX. It is 5 layer cross linked poly which is exactly what everyone else uses. They even state that here :

Although the majority of UFH tube in the market is the same, many come with different warranties ranging from a couple of years to full lifetime warranties

Their warranty is only 10 years according to the website too..?? Polypipe and ProWarm are 50 years, Wunda is 100 years .....

https://cdn.wundatrade.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/P01-Pert-Al-Pert-Pipe-fact-sheet.pdf

Wunda say "18% higher heat output than ordinary Pex and Polybutylene pipe" as well.

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

nuHeat use 14mm .... non standard ... 

That could be a concern, but as long as the manifold fitting is a standard thread it won't matter will it?