joining walls when rebuilding barn

LSB

We are currently converting a barn, at the moment it has two stretches where there are no walls around a corner.

These stretches are going to include 4x opening doors, either sliding / bi-fold / french on the 18m side and an individual window on the 6m side.

The existing walls that we must keep are single skin block to which we are adding EWI outside and plasterboard inside.

We have a stretch of 18m on one side and 6m on the other where each end has to join to an existing wall.

You can just see the end of one of the existing walls in this picture, which has gate hinges.

image.png.e1ea048caf416c99cf94dbb0a4d7d19f.png

What method of building do you think would be the best for this new corner, block / block, block / brick, ICF, timber etc.

The roof is going to be flat (7d) metal, if this makes a difference.

The existing wall when everything is added will be 305mm whereas it looks like standard cavity new walls are something like 370 so we can't be flush.

The outside of the 6m will be rendered, the 18m wall will be clad.

I'm preferring the step outside whereas HID prefers flush outside.

Also, what is likely to be the best method for pinning these together.

This wall in the picture is attaching to the new 6m in a straight line.

I'm also wondering how the foundations will work as our plans say to use the existing base slab and foundations, although we are digging down some floors which have been raised 1/2 block as can be seem here.  These raised bits are floating with a 4mm gap between the floor and the wall.

Around the corner is 18m joining at a corner with the same existing blockwork.

On 07/04/2021 at 14:26, LSB said:

We are currently converting a barn, at the moment it has two stretches where there are no walls around a corner.

These stretches are going to include 4x opening doors, either sliding / bi-fold / french on the 18m side and an individual window on the 6m side.

The existing walls that we must keep are single skin block to which we are adding EWI outside and plasterboard inside.

We have a stretch of 18m on one side and 6m on the other where each end has to join to an existing wall.

You can just see the end of one of the existing walls in this picture, which has gate hinges.

image.png.e1ea048caf416c99cf94dbb0a4d7d19f.png

What method of building do you think would be the best for this new corner, block / block, block / brick, ICF, timber etc.

The roof is going to be flat (7d) metal, if this makes a difference.

The existing wall when everything is added will be 305mm whereas it looks like standard cavity new walls are something like 370 so we can't be flush.

The outside of the 6m will be rendered, the 18m wall will be clad.

I'm preferring the step outside whereas HID prefers flush outside.

Also, what is likely to be the best method for pinning these together.

This wall in the picture is attaching to the new 6m in a straight line.

I'm also wondering how the foundations will work as our plans say to use the existing base slab and foundations, although we are digging down some floors which have been raised 1/2 block as can be seem here.  These raised bits are floating with a 4mm gap between the floor and the wall.

Around the corner is 18m joining at a corner with the same existing blockwork.

I've had no response to this, can anyone help me ?

What you have shown there is an 1800mm high single skin wall.

It would be useful to have some drawings to work to and have a structural engineer do some plans, calcs and spec.  You will need all this for a building regulations submission.

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

What you have shown there is an 1800mm high single skin wall.

It would be useful to have some drawings to work to and have a structural engineer do some plans, calcs and spec.  You will need all this for a building regulations submission.

I'll dig out the plans, I am getting an SE in, I was just wondering how this is done so I can talk semi knowledgeably to the builder and not get too much bull.