Which UFH system for timber floor - nearly there!!!

richie9648

Hi

My first post here - was pointed in this direction by a friend of mine.  After months of research (feels like months) I think I have come to a conclusion on which UFH system and I just needed some support on ensuring I had made a right decision (otherwise my wife and kids will kill me in the middle of winter).  

Background I am doing a renovation project of the ground floor of my house - 95m2.  It is a 1930s semi - whole place is being gutted and an extension going in.  The current flooring is timber joists and in a bad condition and has no insulation.  So first job will be to rip up the flooring and add 100mm of Kingspan or Celotex in between the joists.  Now the complexity of which UFH system to go for.  I have boiled down to 2 options:

Option1:  TorFloor by Omnie - I can use these boards as the structural floor, I am hoping a competent plumber can install this and I can get a 9mm plyboard on top and finish the floor with LVT like Karndean.  The height build up is 35mm (22m board, 9mm ply, 4mm Karndean).  So the build up is pretty similar to what I have with the existing boards and underlay and carpet

Option2: Install a pannelling and screed system (like Nuheat or Profix).  With this system I would put some 6mm T&G plywood over the top of the joists, put down the castellanated panels, pipes would go in and screed on top.  As I cant put Karndean straight on top of the screed, i would need to finish with 6mm ply and Karndean finish on top.  So the build up is 80-85mm (6mm ply, 15-20mm panels depending on system, 50mm screed, 6mm ply, 4mm karndean).  It is not clear how much screed I need as some systems are different.

I am hoping I have described the above scenarios correctly - I am not a seasoned DIYer so all the research has been mind blowing !!!.  

In conclusion I am tending to go for the Omnie Torfloor system - number of reasons - floor build up is lower and its £3k cheaper.  However what I dont know is the output and difference between a screed system and an overlay system.

Any opinions on my conclusions??  Please tell me if I have got this one wrong !!  Ideally I need a fairly quick heat up and a fairly good output - kids and mrs moan in the middle of summer of how cold it is !!!

Thanks for reading

• 6 months later...