Exterior Finish Options...

We just debating Exterior Finish options.

We will probably be building with ICF and are favouring standing-seam Zinc for our two monopitch roofs. The building has a bit of a 'Scandi' influence and features some slatted screening areas that really lend themselves to being wood. We would love to carry this on with further wood cladding, but are a bit nervous about the longevity and ongoing maintenance. Any installations we have seen of timber cladding looks great on day 1, but looks like s**t a year later, though this might just be because it's on housing estates where the quality might be poor. Larch seems to be a popular choice, as is Cedar I think? Has anyone got anything to add to the timber cladding argument?

Beyond that, taking an approach towards a mass-finish for the majority of the building,  render is, we think and obvious choice. Although we can't rule out these corrugated panels that seem to be making an appearance on Grand Designs a lot lately.

Large Format Porcelain Tiles are another area of interest for the lower portion of the building or Stone Slips...

I'd really appreciate your views on exterior finish options. What did you go for and why? Also, pictures would be a great help.

Furthermore, what are the planning implications of choosing finish materials, then changing your mind later on?

Porcelain looks great and is maintenance free

Timber requires to

much maintenance for me 

Unless you just let it weather 

I’m working on some apartments that have used an engineerd timber cladding on a simple Top hat and clip system 

25 year guarantee but expensive 

£50 for a 2.4 length

• Like 1