Landscape Design for Planning Conditions

Good evening.

We have been asked as part of the Planning conditions to provide a landscaping design and was wondering what people had done on this front?

We don't want to do anything elaborate and have very little to do in order to satisfy the Ecological requirements so was hoping a simple sketch would do.

Does anyone have any examples of a DIY submission?

Thanks

Iain

2020.04.102 Block Plan.pdf

Bodge something up mate - their bod will come back with other ideas on species and the like and then just plant what you like.  Highly unlikely they are coming after you on this one to be fair.  Get the box ticked and move on mate.

• Like 1

Remember you can reclaim VAT on plants shown on a landscaping plan.

In our case they only wanted us to plant a hedge and a few trees along one boundary. We just added it to a copy of the site plan renamed "Landscaping Plan" and wrote a half page "Landscape and maintenance plan". This just said something like.... "Hedge A on Landscaping Plan to be a mix of native hedge plants similar to (list of plants) planted in two staggered rows 0.5m apart. Rabbit protection: plastic spirals. Five trees shown to be "standards", two oak and three chestnut (think I put the Latin names from some web site).  Any plants that die in first two years to be replaced.

Sent it in with a request to have that and other conditions discharged.

• 1 year later...
On 05/03/2021 at 21:02, IainParnell said:

Good evening.

We have been asked as part of the Planning conditions to provide a landscaping design and was wondering what people had done on this front?

We don't want to do anything elaborate and have very little to do in order to satisfy the Ecological requirements so was hoping a simple sketch would do.

Does anyone have any examples of a DIY submission?

Thanks

Iain

2020.04.102 Block Plan.pdf 955.22 kB · 8 downloads

Just got the same planning conditions, what did you do?

• 4 weeks later...

Our property in an AONB had planning previously approved by the prior owner. The planning office rejected their initial drawings because they didn't like the line of a new hedge! So it had to be changed (on the planning officer's suggestion) to be an S-shape. In this case they weren't interested in species, just layout, and they didn't ask for levels either.

We've had a full-on biodiversity net gain strategy and report done, so if that's useful I can share it, but it's probably way more heavyweight than is required here.

• 4 weeks later...

What did your architect draw? I altered our driveway design slightly (Conservation Area, planning condition) from bonded gravel to gravel and some setts and pavers, by adapting the architects drawing and then tracing it by hand onto watercolour paper, which is textured and has heft. I then annotated and drew the lines in a nice thin black Sharpie and coloured it in vaguely with a kids cheap watercolour paint set, with lots of shaded green, and the gravel slightly brown. I also mentioned native hedging blending with local landscape, and got amenity and biodiversity in there too. I didn’t show obvious flower beds. Not sure what my architect would have charged, but it cost about £10 to do. My point is, I made it look arty, like I cared (which I do).

BTW it’s worth submitting your planning conditions together as much as possible, as you only pay per submission, not per condition. And sometimes it turns out you don’t even need to discharge them at all, but you might have to ask/wait to see if you get dobbed in. Strictness possibly varies between councils. 

Edited by Jilly
  • Like 1