Excessive Cost of Sewage Treatment Plants

Ferdinand

7 hours ago, ProDave said:

You definitely can't discharge to a dry ditch here. It's like pulling teeth just to get a permit to discharge to a flowing watercourse. 

Having been through the process a few times with SEPA, that's my experience as well.  They only seem to allow as a very last resort.

On 3/2/2017 at 17:38, ProDave said:

It seems to use the chimney effect to aerate the water without a mechanical pump. I wonder how that works on a still day?

The Biorock we had in our last house worked on this principle.  A settlement tank then the separate treatment plant which relied on a constant supply of air being drawn through.  I've related my experience of the Biorock before, but needless to say we had problems.  I think these systems have to be very well installed and probably have a far lower % of tolerance from ideal conditions before they stop operating at there optimum.  I think the electrically aerated systems many of us have or intend installing are far more forgiving in this respect and therefore should be less susceptible to such issues.  When you look at the capital cost of these 'passive' systems, they cost a hell of a lot more than an aerated system.  You have to ask yourself will you ever see the additional capital back in energy savings and is that worth the hassle / risk with a plant that by its nature requires a far tighter range of operating conditions than a cheaper electrically powered plant?

• Thanks 1