Base for SIPS garden studio

RobL

Hi, I'm planning to build a SIPS garden room - 3.6m x 3.6m.

I can't do a slab because the only access to the garden is through the house and the missus doesn't want that amount of soil/clay being taken over the wooden floor.

I'm thinking of piers made from  7 N blocks on hard core. Does that sound ok? I've seen things like easy pads and the swift plinths but this way it'll be cheaper. Groundscrews sound great but at a grand for what I need I think I'll pass.

Can anyone think of an alternative?

I plan the base to be SIPS because of the sound and thermal insulation (I intend to play music in there - doesn't need to be soundproof but just bringing down the volume as much as possible).

Getting it done quickly and as easily as possible is definitely an atraction of the SIPS base and IPS construction rather than constructing a wooden frame and putting insulation in between.

I can see that by using a sips 120mm floor I'm compromising the eventual internal height (it'll be next to the fence so max height 2.5m) but wouldn't I be using 6 x 2 anyway if I was doing a frame?

I've been told that the SIPS base doesn't need to go on the framework - it is the base and frame. 

How would I attach the sips to the piers though? I've seen with the swift plinths for example that they have galvanised plates to fit on top. Does that mean you place the SIPS floor on the plates/plinths and then screw through? Sounds a bit like it would be easy to miss the holes for the screws in the plate. I think I might be missing something! Any ideas?

I hope that all makes sense - please feel free to comment/criticise/advise.

Thanks

I think I would look at some 150x75 treated timber and build a subfloor, hold this off the ground with 100x100 treated posts at corners and intermediate areas. 

250 deep holes and a bucket full of concrete around every post. Lay a dpc on top of bearers and drop sips on and screw down. 

TBH there’s a thousand ways to do it. 

I would use ground screws as it involves vo digging and no concrete, just find them cheaper. 

Just done a quick google

your ground screws will cost you £350. 

If you put them at 1200 centres. 

Edited by Russell griffiths