Lead scrap value.

epsilonGreedy

I have been looking at lead scrap value compared to the same weight of lead supplied in the form of flashing roll. Would I be correct in thinking the scrap value is about half the ex. VAT value of retail lead roll flashing?

The reason for this question is that I am thinking of practicing lead shaping (bossing) and wanted to have some idea how much the practice sessions would cost when I trade in the shaped (or misshaped) practice lead roll. 

Phone your local scrap yards and see what they are offering. The prices change all the time so don't expect it to be the same as when you ask if you take it in later.

You might also need to make an account with them so make sure and ask them what details/documents you need to bring. (It's this way in Scotland)

At my local scrap yard they just ask you to take ID (photo driving licence is enough) and then they pay you through the banking system as a debit card refund. It all works simply enough and I haven't had to go through a complex account making process. They publish prices on their website but these are always a bit out of date.

I'm sure you'll get the hang of it quickly enough so there won' t be much waste. It's a shame we are in lockdown etc - I weighed in a load of old lead at the end of last year that would have been ideal practice material. I could have sent some up to Lincoln with the family.