SE over engineering tanner design

gravelrash

I gave my SE Kore design pdf written by Tanner engineering with regard to one of his designs-see images. Got back a design with strip footing at 800 x300, ring beam at 450 x 300 and main slab as 150 deep which reduces insulation + only 7mm mesh rebar! ...but no calcs. The ground is firm clay/mudstone so no issues with loading. Should I push for him to do full calcs as it appears he has just drawn what he knows will work structurally. any advice grateful

Kore_Insulated_Foundations_Report 12.pdf 21-093.01 Structural Plans and Details (A1).pdf

This is what we ended up with from our SE as a passive slab has it's limits (also on good ground, firm red clay). We are an ICF basement with 1.5 stories above. We abandoned the passive slab idea as we were exceeding the limits of what EPS and a simple slab can do. Ended up with a 200mm  ground bearing slab with two layers of mesh with a 300mm x 600mm ring beam with extra rebar. Worked out a lot simpler and cheaper than a passive slab with the extra footings and higher grade EPS that would have been required. As we are using ICF directly off the slab and 200mm floor insulation, there's no cold bridging and it's well insulated.

Passive slab is great if you have a light building, not so much it's it's a big heavy building like ours.

Edited by Conor

On 19/02/2021 at 09:20, ToughButterCup said:

Common ? 

Common misunderstanding ..? Most likely as they are unusual. But for a single storey building with a pretty decent ground below there isn’t really a need for anything complex. Not quite sure why he thickens the width on the secondary footing as that’s not a detail you need for what is essentially a single skin brick wall. 

@gravelrash have you gone back and asked the question ..?