Are these facing bricks too short?

Adsibob

I was about to confirm my order for the facing bricks for my rear extension, and I noticed that the bricks I am about to order are 11mm shorter than the standard height of a facing brick, in that they are 215 x 102.5 x 54mm.

Does this matter? Apart from having to lay an extra 20% more bricks, are there any other downsides? Will this still tessellate with a standard cement block for the inner skin? What mortar height would you recommend with 54mm high bricks?

No they won’t course properly as a standard brick is 65mm plus a 10mm bed. 3 courses per block is standard. You’ll end up with 3 courses, so that’s a 25mm or so downward bend on the ties. I would be more concurrent about openings such as windows and doors and getting these spot on - you’ll probably be splitting blocks to get it to course. 

1 hour ago, Timedout said:

Go with 65m bricks. Why make life difficult?

I’m just struggling to find a brick colour that will work with my scheme. It’s odd though, the sample board they sent me for these bricks is definitely regular sized bricks. But for some reason their website only shows the short ones. Fingers crossed this is just an oversight on their site. I will give them a call in the morning.

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

No they won’t course properly as a standard brick is 65mm plus a 10mm bed. 3 courses per block is standard. You’ll end up with 3 courses, so that’s a 25mm or so downward bend on the ties. I would be more concurrent about openings such as windows and doors and getting these spot on - you’ll probably be splitting blocks to get it to course. 

But what I don’t understand is how people use these non standard size bricks to course properly with their cement blocks? Do they get non standard cement blocks as well?

5 hours ago, Adsibob said:

But what I don’t understand is how people use these non standard size bricks to course properly with their cement blocks? Do they get non standard cement blocks as well?

There is an abbey channel system can be used in these situations. Same applies for using imperial sized bricks,but the other way (I.e. the brick coursing comes in higher than 225mm block & bed joint.)

Small sections of abbey slot which are bedded in to the blockwork.