Fire Regs and stairs

EmB

So in Scotland stairs need minimum rise of 22cm and width 90cm and going 22.5cm

also stairs need platform at top and bottom of flight of at least 90 x 90cm

Tapering tread is allowed but the middle of the tread must be each equal and of minimum 22.5cm

If the floor goes higher than 4.5 meter then you must have a safe place to wait for help - cherry picker to lift you out

so it needs to be  fire proof 

and one exit - the stairs

the thing is that when you open the ceiling you create more of an updraft allowing the fire to build faster - i think that is more or less the nutshell

And fire escapes are not good 

well insurance companies dont like them do they - burglars get in and out so much more easily 

But now we have a new fire escape

I was thinking ah well velux fire window good idea but climbing over the roof and gutter hmm - you would need to fix a ladder permanently securely to the roof alongside the window to climb onto and then it would have to hang out past the gutters or you could get stuck and fall

problem

And then found this brilliant and apparently very easy to fix to the wall fire ladder which is only an aluminium box (sorry burglars) until the emergency - providing you have a flat wall next to your window - and instead of waiting in some rural spot for the fire engine and cherry picker to make their way to your small back yard somehow because roof window are not allowed street side, well you just climb our - clearly with anxious neighbours there to help although you are hardly going to be putting gran in the attic are you

https://www.windsolar-products.co.uk/products/nt_whirlwind_turbine.html

Any way am thinking this little ladder is going to change so much  in the future - it is genius 

Anyone else got any views

as you can see is just an aluminium box but there is a peg  pin at the top which you take it out - as long as not any interference with that - in an emergency and the ladder drops down for easy enough exit 

So if the pin is on the top and you have a 3 storey building but are trying to escape from the middle floor, how does that work?

I wouldn’t be relying on it, rather have smoke detectors, fire extinguishers and would rather throw one of their window hook ladders out the window than climbing onto that

28 minutes ago, TonyT said:

So if the pin is on the top and you have a 3 storey building but are trying to escape from the middle floor, how does that work?

I wouldn’t be relying on it, rather have smoke detectors, fire extinguishers and would rather throw one of their window hook ladders out the window than climbing onto that

no i probably would add a second ladder - thing is think if i had loft conversion think i would have to make first floor special safe too just to be sure

possibly overkill but hey life is worth it and ladder quite cheap -

thing the extra window input and ladder might just be worth it plus the extra sunshine into the house . shower room instead of light and fan thing going on - just love a window but why have it in a roof when you could have it in a wall  gable end - probably would have roof velux also but not for fire exit

Edited by EmB