Geotextile required under “temporary” site access/base for structures?

I’m having 40 tonnes of limestone delivered to site on Saturday to provide a base for  entrance access/shipping container and caravan base. 

It is “temporary” as such, although some parts of it may well be retained as finished driveway/parking area - with an additional dressing/surface finish over the top.

Groundworker I was chatting to on the telephone suggests that I need to put “polythene or Terram or something” down first, to “stop it all sinking into the top of the soil”. 

I’d really rather not spend hundreds more on something which is, in essence, temporary (although it’s relative as that might mean 2+ years) and I may well end up moving the stone around, I’m really not able to tell at the moment. 

I’m willing to top up the areas regularly trafficked by vehicle if necessary - the bits which are around the temporary buildings will mainly have foot traffic only. 

Thoughts and experience please? 

Teram or equivalent geo textile is not that expensive and will prevent your stone from progressively becoming incorporated into the ground below it - rain as well as traffic will make that happen. It's a no brainer if you want to use the stone for something else later, as a sub base for a drive etc.

A quick search shows 2m x 50m rolls for about £100 - what area are you covering?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bitpipe said:

Teram or equivalent geo textile is not that expensive and will prevent your stone from progressively becoming incorporated into the ground below it - rain as well as traffic will make that happen. It's a no brainer if you want to use the stone for something else later, as a sub base for a drive etc.

A quick search shows 2m x 50m rolls for about £100 - what area are you covering?

Shipping container, static caravan, builders hut or just the tourer I’ve already got. Short access strip to boundary. 

Just thinking, what about some old carpet... years ago we used to have it on the allotment for weed suppression!

?

If there is any dust in the limestone it can end up setting up like concrete. Its very hard to remove with a spade later so make sure you do a good job cleaning up the site before you get rid of the excavator.

2 hours ago, Randomusername said:

Shipping container, static caravan, builders hut or just the tourer I’ve already got. Short access strip to boundary. 

Just thinking, what about some old carpet... years ago we used to have it on the allotment for weed suppression!

?

If you have something to sit between it and the ground then you should be fine. Axminster ?  :)