Velux in new roof

Pocster

I’ve got to get a new roof on a rental . I mean a complete removal. Then ...

Strip off old tiles and felt and batten, removing all rubbish as we go

Renew felt with new breathable roofshield felt and 25x50 treated batten

Remove all lead work and render to all parapet walls and coping stones

Renew all lead work to all walls and chimney stack and dormas to the back 

Use new stainless steel belcast beeds 

Use existing tiles and put back onto roof replacing with new as and when we need to 

Re-render wall back in using 2 layers of sand and cement 

Renew velux windows like for like (these may have to be plastered around the inside of windows if they do not come out correctly which we do not cover)

To finish we will rebed new coping stones back on with a DPC Barrier

We will then ridge off the roof using new breathable dry ridge kit 

My quote includes the cost of scaffolding and all rubbish removal from site

Why replace the velux ? Or is it not advisable to make a new roof for existing velux ?

Also is it worth replacing all the tiles or just reuse the existing - cost extra is 700

thanks 

If there are a fair few tiles that need replacing I would renew the lot as the new ones will not match and the old ones are probably past their useful life.  With Velux if they are OK and a current size you could leave.  If not, replace.

Easy for me to say as it is your money.

• Like 1

The velux will be fixed to the old battens so it's going to have to come out anyway. It's just up to you if you want to put in a new one. How old is it?? 

I would reuse the tiles if they are in good condition and put the £700 towards the new velux window.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

The velux will be fixed to the old battens so it's going to have to come out anyway

Good point, weatherproofing collar and flashing kit will be hard to re-use with any confidence

• Thanks 1

I know tiles lose their glaze overtime . Roofs probably not been touched in 20 yrs since I’ve owned it . Roofer also offers a 10 yr warranty so tempted to replace the tiles also . Then everything is covered in the event of any further issues .

Edited by pocster

23 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

The velux will be fixed to the old battens so it's going to have to come out anyway. It's just up to you if you want to put in a new one. How old is it?? 

I would reuse the tiles if they are in good condition and put the £700 towards the new velux window.

New velux is included in his quote anyway .

On 02/01/2021 at 17:25, pocster said:

I know tiles lose their glaze overtime . Roofs probably not been touched in 20 yrs since I’ve owned it . Roofer also offers a 10 yr warranty so tempted to replace the tiles also . Then everything is covered in the event of any further issues .

If the tiles are only 20 years old I would be inclined to re-use existing as should be good for another 30 years at least I would have thought unless they are damaged or in poor condition.