Connecting MDPE to iron/steel pipe

Hilldes

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Incidentally if you need to work on MDPE where there is no upstream stopcock you can get a squeeze-off tool to stop the flow.

Seen those clamps on line and wondered where they could be used - good to know if needed, thanks.

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Gosh that would have been a lot of water if you cut straight through with the pipe shears.

I measured static pressure and flow rate at 5 Bar and 15 lites per min, I think I would have got wet!

They might just give you a complete new connection, if its leaking at the "tar ball" and thats on the live side then it it their responsibility, would probably be easier for them to cut and cap that connection, all depending on how deep the trunk main is, would be good to get a brand new toby/ water meter and get them to put it in a slightly better location.

I almost had a complete new connection from scottish water but the trunk main ended up being under my neighbours driveway so i have a 3ft section of old 3/4 pipe that they connected to the new toby

Well I did get wet ?, whilst digging with my JCB to get my new supply pipe ready fir connection next to a neighbours meter, one of the bucket teeth caught their incoming pipe and ripped it out of their meter. Imagine a 15ft fountain with a very soggy chap (me) desperately trying to clamp the pipe deep in the mud (no pavement). Like @Hilldes the supply pipe was being  fed into the meter the “wrong way round” and a loop of pipe existed where I was digging. It seems funny now but not at the time.

Affinity water came out the next day to fit a new stop tap, even connected up my temporary MDPE. Very impressed with their service - came to my rescue within 45 mins of breaking the old tap and new tap installed next day - all at no charge. The guys commented they got a bit wet installing it because of our high water pressure. I must measure static pressure/flow rate again as it seems even higher since we now have 20mm MDPE all the way from the road.

When we have completed demolition and the new piling and ring beam, I'll dig a trench and run 32mm MDPE from the new Toby.

IMG_2627.jpg

• Like 1