Mud mats

Can anyone recommend some kind of mud mats  that aren't too expensive, please? The temporary entrance has been trashed. 

Events have conspired in that the builder underestimated how much spoil the piling contractor would leave, the rain came, the clay has done its stuff...everywhere. 

Edited by Jilly
grammar

We bought £50 worth of offcut of artificial turf (5m by 5m) and put it outside the bits of house we wanted to protect. (kitchen, back door) 

I ran a branch of our hose and sprayer to the artificial turf edge, and put a boot cleaner there, so everyone could scrape and spray their boots before using the loo. Its been down now for 4 years and has real grass and other stuff growing through it. The chickens do their bit of cleaning up of bits of food, and contribute just as much mess as they  clear away. The dogs hoover the rest up 

Wait for a couple of dry and preferrably windy days , the mud crusts up well, and then get a leaf blower on it - comes up like new. Best £50 we spent. 

• Like 2

Plastimatts or ground mats like these are maybe an idea.... We bought 10, over the years have smashed two, and we should get our money back on the other 8.  Three or four visitors have commented on them - and every lorry driver  does: on our mud , they are a godsend.

Even better if you have a digger and can sling them to a bucket ....

• Thanks 1

I have about a dozen of these 

While they are pricey 

They are virtually indestructible

You can run a tracked machine or 20 ton lorry on them 

Just pressure wash them down when you no longer need them and put them on eBay for nearly what you have paid 

6339AA26-24D4-4526-AF13-9339807D0B04.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here you are .... 4 years in, no maintenance

20201120_091219.thumb.jpg.182d702ceb1e66e0d78a0ec16e32ba1c.jpg

20201120_091153.thumb.jpg.ee1f300e57056944c765ffc2cd905067.jpg

As Gary says (  @nod ) says they are pricey, but we'll re-sell them at about £80 or so. Won't get the VAT back, though.

We (well, I ) smashed one by driving over it with a trailer that was loaded with a 3 tonne oak  tree: the mat bridged some deep ruts which I had not filled in. 

Was a bit piddled off until a visitor told me that whenever he made the same error, he cut the mat up into appropriately sized chunks and used them as ersatz paving stones.

There is no down-side to buy something like these mats: same logic as buying your own scaffolding.

Pssst, wanna buy a few? ?

Edited by ToughButterCup