How to waterproof bathroom floor 150 x 200 cm

I have a small bathroom, with a bathtub and an additional floor area of 150 x 200 cm.

The floor is covered with vinyl mat. The bathroom is located in the first floor.

What is the best way to waterproof the bathroom floor area of 150 x 200 cm?

Some additional notes:

• The corners are not sealed and if a bucket of water is thrown onto the floor it will leak down into the ground floor.
  • I guess one improvement would be to apply a waterproof flooring sealant in the corners
  • While searching for this subject, I also stumbled upon the concept of wet-rooms (https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Wet_room). What sort of flooring do these have?
Edited by jack
Amazon link removed (didn't link to the product mentioned) & wet-room link replaced with non-commercial version

Cleverer people will be along in a minute but a few thoughts:

Such total waterproofing is called "tanking". This is the system I used:

2000x1500 might be a bit small for a wet room without screens. My ground, solid floor bathroom is nom 3000x3000. Wet room corner is nom 1.4x1.4 with floor laid to falls and a wall drain. I've no screens and unless you're careful water from the shower, (I've a handset and rainfall head) can go outside this area. The kids seem to get water 3m in any direction!

20190626_205015

One route is a 22mm thick wet room former that replaces a section of the existing floorboards. You in effect then tank over the whole lot before tiling. Picked at random:

https://www.tradewetrooms.com/tough-x-1700x800x22mm-wetroom-shower-tray/#wetrooom-drain

You should manage a wet room type floor with careful screening. Got a quick plan sketch of the room?

@Nickfromwales, isn't there a make you rate?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2020 at 07:26, Onoff said:Picked at random:

https://www.tradewetrooms.com/tough-x-1700x800x22mm-wetroom-shower-tray/#wetrooom-drain

You should manage a wet room type floor with careful screening. Got a quick plan sketch of the room?

@Nickfromwales, isn't there a make you rate?

Diamond are great value for money, but Impey are the better trays. Impey systems require use of their own tanking membrane ( it tanks AND decouples ) so expect to part with more cash if you choose those. 
Wedi do a 40mm system but it needs a lot of supporting from underneath. I can’t recall them doing a 22/25mm system but haven’t looked at Wedi for some time now.

Yes I used the Impey trays and tanking system for two wet rooms.

If this is just a bathroom and not a wet room with a drain, then tanking the floor and up the walls would not actually do much. Where would the water go if there is no drain in the floor?  Out under the door would be my guess?

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Yes I used the Impey trays and tanking system for two wet rooms.

If this is just a bathroom and not a wet room with a drain, then tanking the floor and up the walls would not actually do much. Where would the water go if there is no drain in the floor?  Out under the door would be my guess?

The way my kids spray water round the bathroom I should have sloped the whole floor to the wall drain not just the corner!

Indeed, the bathroom floor does not have a drain. I suppose adding a drain to the floor would be much more expensive? Would it make sense for such conversion? The walls are tiled and perfectly waterproof. Only the small floor area is the problem (150 x 200 cm). With that being said, having the floor waterproof is much better than letting the water flaw into the ground floor. At least I will have the option to mop it and also the bathroom is well ventilated and on the sunny side so it gets dry very quickly even if there is a lake. Currently, it is quite a hassle having to put the (pictured) bath rug into the corner next to the bathtub just to make sure it will absorb and prevent water falling under the floor.

Another question, can I apply the tanking directly on the bathroom floor (150 x 200 cm) covered with vinyl mat? Or do I need to scrape off the vinyl mat first?

Photo 12-11-2020, 09 17 42.jpg