Aftermarket filter material

I'm sure this must've come up before in conversation, but I haven't found a dedicated thread so thought I'd start one...

The filters on my Titon 1.25 MVHR are long since overdue their first replacement and whilst 'official' replacements aren't prohibitively expensive at £12.78/pr the thrifty Northener in me is reminding myself that's it's the sort of thing that's heavily marked up and so there is likely a cheaper - yet just as good - alternative available. My filters consist of clip-together plastic frames and so it'll be trivial to replace just the material and so I figured I ought to be able to buy a roll of G3 filter material for an additional outlay upfront but that will likely last me forever and so soon pay for itself. Furthermore, if I had a roll I'd be more likely to replace the filters more often and it'd be a sunk - and long forgotten - cost once I've got it.

Has anyone else done this and, if so, can share any recommendation of supplier? A cursory Google search finds me a 1sqm filter roll for £8.34 (excl. delivery) which would give me 10 replacements.

Edited by MJNewton

What thickness is the media? G3 or thereabouts is easy to get hold of in tthe garage trade as it's used in spray booths.  I've a big roll of it in the attic...

Tends to be about an inch thick but can be squeezed down a fair bit or "torn" into a thinner sheet.

Good question - I'd have to check. The roll I linked to is 10mm thick and my recollection is that mine could be that or thereabouts. I suppose the thicker it is the more filtration/restriction there is so I think I'd be looking to maintain 'normal' performance on that front.

I’ve just found the 125mm external filter boxes will take a 2007 Ford Transit pollen filter ..! So I plan to give them a try, especially as they are £2.35 in EuroCarParts this weekend with the discount. 

Anyone else needs them, they are 200x214x30 and activated charcoal filled. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just to close this off, I bought a square metre of 10mm G3 filter media from Just Fans for £8.34 and this should last me quite some time even if I do decrease the service interval which I think I ought to from the state of the old filters I removed! (L = internal extract, R = external intake)

20201130_121042.thumb.jpg.df83c484bd27ed17cc780cedfbf67c15.jpg

20201130_121045.thumb.jpg.6acb5962b39dec57a72926074e14a213.jpg

20201130_121050.thumb.jpg.5971a548d8fd53b456aa5ccf24f3d028.jpg

I can't work out how long my unit has been in, but it could be over a year and I've been doing a fair bit of renovation work inside. I'm going to go with a six month interval now and see how things look then, adjusting depending on what I find (and reminding myself how cheap bulk-bought filter media is).

Edited by MJNewton

On 06/11/2020 at 20:23, PeterW said:

I’ve just found the 125mm external filter boxes will take a 2007 Ford Transit pollen filter ..! So I plan to give them a try, especially as they are £2.35 in EuroCarParts this weekend with the discount. 

Anyone else needs them, they are 200x214x30 and activated charcoal filled. 

I actually found a website that you can put the dimentions of the car filter that you need and it give's you the cars that it fits so you can search by car make and model.

That how I got my one from a Suzuki Swift.

If anyone needs the link please let me know.

@MJNewton I think your filters have a brother from another mother as I just pulled my ones out after about 6 months and they look identically dirty :) I will post some photos tomorrow.