Project Manager Duties

Barney12

Hi All

This seems like such a basic question but I'm not seaming to find any simple answers. So...........

What are the key responsibilities of a project manager?

For reasons that I wont bore you with details (but it potentially involves 12 months in plaster!! :( ) I'm reluctantly coming to the conclusion that I might need some help with my Self Build.

I know I could go down the main contractor route but it doesn't appeal. I also don't feel the need for a "site manager" as I'm living on site.

TIA

Project Management is a well-understood role within construction - read the job ads.

But, listening between the lines, you are concerned with continuity of guidance for the subcontractors on your self-build : you might not be on site as much as you'd like.

North Lancs is heaving with new-builds. And as luck would have it, I met a semi-feral project manager a few months ago. He was putting some stick about in public on a building site - insisting that all the contractors  remain on site for the time they were contracted to be on site, even if the job had been completed. The exchange was lively. And mildly entertaining.

'So, when I'm finished putting in those piles, what do you want me to do with my piling rig?' asked the  grinning rig driver. The response was too fruity for this site.

The RICS have a sector for project management: but I'm wincing even suggesting that: cost.

Thanks for the reply. That RICS link was a helpful description.

Where I'm vexed is "am I better to simple hand my build over to a main contractor"?

Project Management ticks the boxes but that still leaves site management which would be another cost.

I guess I'm just going to need to get quotes in all directions o.O

10 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

Thanks for the reply. That RICS link was a helpful description.

Where I'm vexed is "am I better to simple hand my build over to a main contractor"?

Project Management ticks the boxes but that still leaves site management which would be another cost.

I guess I'm just going to need to get quotes in all directions o.O

You get the answer to that question when the build is finished :ph34r:.

Or not :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:.

Edited by Ferdinand

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, John Poole said:

CDM 2015, will say that legally that role of project manager doesn't exist and that you'll pospossibly be seen as a Principal Contractor & site manager and that's where your legal duty lies.  

Have you read through this?

this is the summary of another much longer thread about CDM 2015. If that's the kind of thing you are interested in it might be a good place to get involved.

Ed

• Like 1