Hi

Bramco

Hi there, wish I'd found this forum earlier!!

Not that we're in need but there's loads of great experience here which could have kept informed and entertained as we ground through the planning process.

We finally got permission a week or so ago after 3 years - I'm sure there are plenty of members whose trials and tribulations were worse than ours but I'm sure it's a pain for almost everyone.

Our build is in the Green Belt and is obviously infill, therefore not inappropriate - the officer that dealt with our pre-app decided that the plot, was too wide at 32m. She then went on to give permission to another application in another village stating that their frontage of 100m was fine for infill.   Beggars belief....

Anyway, we won the appeal with ease and then had the haggle of getting our design through (oh and another officer on the reserved matters decided the outline permission red line wasn't correct, so we had to put in a full application).

So here we are 3 years down the line, when we should have been living in our German kit house for 2 years, being unable to afford the Germans because of the exchange rate, watching materials prices shooting up due to Covid and Brexit, as well as possibly a housing market slump in a years time when we want to sell our existing house.......

The upside is that we'll be much more involved in the build which should be interesting...  Our permission is for a 3/4 bed timber frame house to passivish standards but not certified - although we may need to be when it's done. Metal roofing and cladding with some wood and render, ashp, mvhr, solar at the top of the field, triple glazed windows etc.

Simon & Jane

PS We're just south of Nottingham which seems to be a bit of a desert as far as self builds go...

Welcome to THE forum of self builders, don’t get me started about planners, I too wasted years £££££ and won at appeal. Anyway, there is a plethora of info here and remember there is no such thing as a silly question, silly is not asking in the first place . We look forward to your “story” and questions (despite the crazy state of the nation at present ?).

11 minutes ago, Bramco said:

And we're at J24 - Batman country if you know the area.

Simon

I worked for a time near there.

I love that there is a village called Moira and another one called Conkers. 

Lots of nice trees and bicycle paths locally in the National Forest so an increasingly fantastic place to be in the next few years' time.