Periscope Vent Alternative

davosbizniz

Hello, 

I'm working on a timber frame new build house with beam and block floor. I have a single layer of 140mm blockwork wall around the perimeter. (I do not have brick walls above ground so there is no need for the outer brick layer.) It therefore seems that a periscope vent is not really suitable for this application as its designed to fit through an outer 100mm brick layer. Is there a different product or some other way of venting in this scenario that is more appropriate?

Many thanks,

Dave 

beam and block.JPG

Wouldn't you be punching the vent through the bit of blockwork AGL?  Trouble there is that it is likely to get blocked up in no time being so close to the ground I suppose. A row of commons on top of the block would probably sort it though.

I was wondering if the ground levels are the same all the way round the house?

Say you get a bit of flooding / raised water table then will the solum not fill with water? Do you want to keep the solum space? Is it possible to put the insulation under the beams, put the dpc on top of the insulation and turn this up into the wall so that is the 150mm above ground level, above the theoretical splash point of the rain. Keep the beams on the warm side. Yes you may need a thicker screed, maybe not if you can raise the beams a bit? You would still need to "pocket" wrap the beam ends where they rest on the supporting underbuilding to keep the continuity of the DPM?