Building regulations confusion

omptymar

I have a Class 6 Outbuilding according to : https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200128/building_control/38/building_regulations/2

Per above, I am exempt  from A to K, M, N and Q, but not Part L or P.

What building regs do I need to follow for Outbuildings, my outlet has gas boiler, bathroom, drainage, lighting indoor and outdoor? But less than 30m in floor area and no sleeping accomodation

The different parts of the building regs list is here: https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200135/approved_documents

Do I just need to follow the below building regs: ?

If so do I ask my builder to provide all the above "Part" building regs? I havent recieved any certificates at all

AND my builder did not provide any Regs for the boiler, can I get a Building Compliance Certificate retrospectively or will the boiler have to be completely replaced for a certificate?

Many thanks

Edited by omptymar

Is the boiler new ..? If so, to get the warranty he would have to have used a gas safe engineer. The engineer should have completed the benchmark / install book and can self certify the work. Has the builder not handed that over .??

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Is the boiler new ..? If so, to get the warranty he would have to have used a gas safe engineer. The engineer should have completed the benchmark / install book and can self certify the work. Has the builder not handed that over .??

The boiler installed 3 years ago, was a new boiler installation, he just gave me a "Gas Safety Record" at the time. He didnt register any warranty either.

Just now I realize that a Safety Record is different with Building Reg Certificate, any possibility in getting the certification retrospectively? 

Edited by omptymar

So the gas safety record should have a GSR installer number in it, against the certificate holder. If that is complete then it has been installed as part of a self certification scheme and doesn’t require building regs sign off. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry I think i made a mistake, I didn't receive a Gas Safety certificate I received a "Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate"?

I attached the image, this is the only certificate i received

20170521_0813351.jpg

thanks all

Edited by omptymar

16 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Fit a combination or CO detector in there if you have a gas burning appliance. Post a pic of the document you have,  but please cover any details of 3rd parties.

he fitted a battery combo detector (non mains) 

the outlet building includes, gas boiler, a consumer unit (connected to main house fusebox), bathroom, etc etc

under contract all the certificates is his responsibility, how do i check if he registered my boiler and complied with building regs

Edited by omptymar

The Gas Sate Register is part of a ‘competent installer scheme’ and therefore IF the installation was registered you could simply ring them and ask. 
I would speak to the installer first, and explain how you wish to proceed, as they may well not want to head off ‘down that track’. 
There is no grey here, just black or white. They did complete and register the Benchmark certificate & notify the GSR of your install / or they didn’t. If they’ve left ANY gas burning ( lethal ) appliance on and functioning then they have put themselves in a very compromising  situation. 
Not many GSR fitters would ever allow themselves to become so exposed / liable, so hopefully this is just poor comms and all is in order. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

The Gas Sate Register is part of a ‘competent installer scheme’ and therefore IF the installation was registered you could simply ring them and ask. 
I would speak to the installer first, and explain how you wish to proceed, as they may well not want to head off ‘down that track’. 
There is no grey here, just black or white. They did complete and register the Benchmark certificate & notify the GSR of your install / or they didn’t. If they’ve left ANY gas burning ( lethal ) appliance on and functioning then they have put themselves in a very compromising  situation. 
Not many GSR fitters would ever allow themselves to become so exposed / liable, so hopefully this is just poor comms and all is in order. 

thanks, i checked and the boiler is not registered, and also I believe he incorrectly labeled a NEW electrical installation as a "Partial rewire"! the installer behaves threateningly/makes excuses whenever i bring up anything. not sure what to do next..

That image you've posted has nothing to do with a new boiler.

If the installer is getting heavy, look them up in the Gas Safe Register. If they're not registered, that tells you everything; if they are, you can report his unwillingness to come up with any documentation to the Register and leave it with them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, RandAbuild said:

That image you've posted has nothing to do with a new boiler.

If the installer is getting heavy, look them up in the Gas Safe Register. If they're not registered, that tells you everything; if they are, you can report his unwillingness to come up with any documentation to the Register and leave it with them.

All works were handled by a middle-man builder who subcontracted works for an out building so i've got no idea who is the installer is but it was his responsibility per the contract.

Any possibility in getting the boiler certified now? or will the boiler have to be ripped out and a brand new one put in for the certificates? 

do boilers need to have thermostats to be legal?

Edited by omptymar

7 hours ago, omptymar said:

And one more thing, does the above electrical certificate I provided satisfy the Building regulations? 

Yes

Any possibility in getting the boiler certified now?

Yes - get a landlords gas installation inspection

will the boiler have to be ripped out and a brand new one put in for the certificates

No - depending on what the gas inspection says

do boilers need to have thermostats to be legal?

No - but it depends on the overall installation and what was included under Part L

Are you concerned because you want to sell, or just that you don’t think things have been done right ..? Why not contact the local council building control office and ask for the file for your property..?? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Yes - get a landlords gas installation inspection

Doesn’t need to be a Landlord certificate, just a gas safety one. They’re pretty much the same form but just mention owner vs agent respectively which may be of relevance if not renting / letting out?

And one more thing, does the above electrical certificate I provided satisfy the Building regulations? 

If it’s a full new rewiring installation then you can just get clarity from the issuing body. For insurance purposes you need to be 100% sure that these definitions are correct. 
Or say nothing and cross your fingers. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

One last question, will the Council be able to enforce any breaches, as 3 years have now passed. Even if I notify the Council, NCEIC, Gas Safety, would they come to my property to tell me what I would be required to do and sort this out? I presume I'd have to pay NCEIC to check my electrics to see if its compliant, and steps for compliance ect ect...

and i want it all sorted because i paid extra for certificates to prevent any future problems with insurance , house sale etc etc

thanks again

13 hours ago, omptymar said:

One last question, will the Council be able to enforce any breaches, as 3 years have now passed. Even if I notify the Council, NCEIC, Gas Safety, would they come to my property to tell me what I would be required to do and sort this out? I presume I'd have to pay NCEIC to check my electrics to see if its compliant, and steps for compliance ect ect...

and i want it all sorted because i paid extra for certificates to prevent any future problems with insurance , house sale etc etc

thanks again

You need to find out IF there are issues as pointless discussing if the work is sound. 
Once you identify anything, and know the severity ( immediately unsafe work for eg which is about as bad as it could get ) then you can look at their governing body acting upon that information and possibly striking them off. 
If you paid cash, and don’t have an invoice, all that goes out of the window. If you have an invoice you need to contact that person and give them one last opportunity to rectify and provide the certification with immediate effect.