Borehole letting in water

philkenny

Hi all, we got moved into our new house about 2 months ago. We have a new borehole supplying our domestic water. It is down to 150ft and has a chamber at surface with a duct located about 2 feet down running to the garage, during heavy rain the chamber is filing with ground water and then running into the borehole causing discolouration  of the water. I initially thought it may have been caused by water seeping in through the manhole lid to chamber, but have covered with plastic the problem is still happening. I presume water is getting into the chamber around the duct leading to the garage. Solutions seem to be : 1: try and seal around duct

2: install a pump with float switch to drain the water

Any thoughts very welcomed?

I think we need  about more information about how the water is getting in.

How high is your water table?

Other options might include tanking the inside of the chamber, or covering the whole thing with a gazebo or garden locker type structure, or even a cover plus a circular French drain to prevent the water reaching the leaky seal.

Suspect that Plan A should be the seal around the drain as that sounds easiest.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

We have an 8 inch steel pipe that lines the top 20ft of the borehole. it sticks about 4 inch out of ground in a 3 ft chamber. 

The chamber was removed and re sealed and waterproofed. The pipe had a 18 extension welded on top and sealed with a lid.

The rings were built up so they were out of the ground  by a foot to prevent heavy rain overflowing into chamber. 

A neighbour had a plastic liner that had to be extended that was more difficult.

We were warned that if we pollute the water table then we could be held liable for any remedial work and all costs etc