New build project - PMing / stages of work

Moonshine

I have been pretty involved with planning my build so far and have been drafting building control documents of how the building goes together, contacting services, dropped kerb app etc

I have come to an agreement with my architect that rather than him drafting them, i will draw out / spec and he will review and comment on build issues or information for BR application, for which he will work on hourly rates.

When it comes to the construction of the build I realise this is where I want to play an active role though i nor have the time (work full time) and experience to do large bits of work (e.g. building block walls), and also the budget does not allow for a turn key main contractor.

As i see it feel the best way forward is to have these main work stages

1. Groundworks / excavation / retaining walls, up to beam and block floor level.
  2. Superstructure / roof / internal walls and floors / stairs
  3. Windows / Render
  4. Internals (plastering / elec / plumbing / joinery / painting)
  5. Kitchen
  6. Landscaping

For stages 1-3 i would likely have this contracted to three or four different companies to get me a water tight shell.

• Groundworker
  • General builder (may do groundworks under their contract)
  • Window installers (i would source the windows)
  • Renderer (who i previously used)

After having a water tight shell i would look to appoint contractors myself, and where possible do work myself. This does have pitfalls in terms of management and making sure the timings are right.

Also i would look to supply big ticket materials, as am looking to shop around for best prices on materials as a builder may not be looking for the best deals and also will put a ~15% markup on for organising.

What are peoples thoughts on doing things this way?