For those that like old tools

ProDave

I was given a table saw today, from a joiner I was working with, one that he had rescued from a skip recently out of curiosity value.  Handy as I didn't have a table saw.

SAW_1.thumb.jpg.b3a5a4785ca03ad3937e58b5bb68f44f.jpg

SAW_2.thumb.jpg.87f1cc0ad30c54c330abebbe32b59a0e.jpg

It would be interesting to try and find out how old it is.

It basically works. Obvious faults like the on off switch is stuck on, and the knobs to adjust table height and release the table to tilt it are seized.  but it runs and it cuts and the motor bearings seem good.

It also has a curious attachment that I think have worked out is meant to make it into a basic wood lathe.

SAW_3.thumb.jpg.6dd7bbc607fc561b471faf05474d287b.jpg

I believe it should have 2 steel rods that are missing. that would allow that "head stock" to attach to the base and you could then put a small workpiece between the 3 jaw chuck on the back end of the motor and a centre on the head stock.

I am not sure what you rest the tool on as I have not found a tool post for it.

I don't think I will be using that function (I could do better turning wood on my metal lathe if I really wanted to)

• 2 years later...

Hi Dave, l’ve just found and joined this site as l was looking for info on an old circular saw/ surface planer made by a German company in 1985 Schwaben Gerate GmbH WERKMEISTER and up popped your post. I work three days a week at a Scottish Men’s Shed in a village called Findochty, l resurrect old donated tools and equipment and this old saw table with a surface planer attachment turned up and as l was busy the woodworking shed thought they would plug three extension cables together and fire up this old thing you can imagine the result. When they called me to reset all the trips and told me their story l found this lovely old saw table with smoke poring out of it and a tell tale stink and two guilty looking chippy’s. The start/run capacitor had gone into meltdown and l have searched high and low for a replacement but (now we come to it) could you or perhaps ‘Onoff’ might be able to help find an equivalent replacement capacitor?

IMG_1043.jpeg

IMG_1046.jpeg

Thanks DP, just ordered it from EBay, just needed the confirmation of which one would suit it, thanks again for the advice. ( the forum works guy’s). Oh! and thanks to ProDave for putting up the post about the ‘old tools’ (the old “tool’s” are the best) ha! ha!