Window brand recommendations uPVC

Alexx

Hey guys, I was researching a bit trying to find online shops that make windows to measure and I'm not feeling confident some of these online vendors use good quality stuff to make their windows.

I ended up finding Eurocell website and it looked quite promising, until I decided to look up their reviews.

I'm based in SE London so I was hoping to find a place I could source a couple of windows without the uPVC greedy seller margin on top, and hopefully find a good installer too. Alternative a good reputable online shop would do as well :)

Does anyone know any reputable brands with good customer service?

You are at the mercy of installers and unlikely to find an installer who doesn’t also do supply as it’s where they will make some of their mark up. If you’re replacing windows then you should either be using a FENSA registered installer or building control - I’ve seen this come back and bite people when they come to sell houses. 

Modern UPVC do what you want in terms of windows online - pretty good quality too. 

8 hours ago, craig said:

https://www.gap.uk.com

They may be able to assist.

thanks!

7 hours ago, PeterW said:

You are at the mercy of installers and unlikely to find an installer who doesn’t also do supply as it’s where they will make some of their mark up. If you’re replacing windows then you should either be using a FENSA registered installer or building control - I’ve seen this come back and bite people when they come to sell houses. 

Modern UPVC do what you want in terms of windows online - pretty good quality too. 

Yeah I've noticed that now that it seems I need to buy and install from the same place. I want to learn and do it myself and I manage my rental properties and I'm very keen on doing things properly after I was let down by some cowboys.

What would be the problem exactly, windows not installed correctly or not having some sort of certification for it? I'm even considering doing a quick course do to more of this type of work myself as I enjoy it, and also because I know I'll be in control of the quality maintaining my properties

1 hour ago, Alexx said:

What would be the problem exactly, windows not installed correctly or not having some sort of certification for it? I'm even considering doing a quick course do to more of this type of work myself as I enjoy it, and also because I know I'll be in control of the quality maintaining my properties

There is legal requirement under Building Regulations that windows are either installed by a FENSA registered Installer or you use Building Control. As a landlord if there was an accident and a faulty window was identified to be the cause then you could be liable. 

I’m not aware of a FENSA installers course and it is the company that has to pay for the continued registration so it’s unlikely you will save any money for a couple of windows. 

I think from memory that Fensa registration is about £300 per annum. I think the building reg fee is about £250 from memory. The building inspector who comes around wont have a clue about how you have fitted them. They will be more interested in if they have trickle vents, and offer a means of escape if required. Don't forget that if what you are replacing has no trickle vents, then you don't have to fit them in the new windows. I hate trickle vents, and always try to avoid them when i can.

2 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

I think from memory that Fensa registration is about £300 per annum.

Yep and to register your company you have to have the following :

It is a scheme requirement that each surveyor and at least one person for each installation team holds evidence that they have met the Individual compliance (MTC) requirements.

So that’s NVQ or similar so without that you can’t register anyway. BCO is a much quicker and cheaper route as you say - they just want to see some nice sealant..!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PeterW said:

There is legal requirement under Building Regulations that windows are either installed by a FENSA registered Installer or you use Building Control. As a landlord if there was an accident and a faulty window was identified to be the cause then you could be liable. 

I’m not aware of a FENSA installers course and it is the company that has to pay for the continued registration so it’s unlikely you will save any money for a couple of windows. 

Does the installer provide some sort of certificate to the installed window then? BCO would just cost as much as an installer I guess

16 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

I think from memory that Fensa registration is about £300 per annum. I think the building reg fee is about £250 from memory. The building inspector who comes around wont have a clue about how you have fitted them. They will be more interested in if they have trickle vents, and offer a means of escape if required. Don't forget that if what you are replacing has no trickle vents, then you don't have to fit them in the new windows. I hate trickle vents, and always try to avoid them when i can.

Do you need tickle vents even though there are air ducts to the outside of the building? It seems a bit redundant. What if you have a forced air circulation system, do you still need tickle vents? 

Yeah for £300 + the hassle then it makes sense to get an installer. No disrespect to the installers, I just want to be 100% in control of things done to my property and having got cowboys in the past I'm very careful now.

You do not need to be Fensa or Certass registered, that is an urban myth. It just means you can self certify your own work and don’t need to notify building control and pay the small fee.

It is also only applicable to England Wales and replacements/extensions only.

It’s also a waste of time, last check all they did was attend, check u value of window and left. Never checked the install itself or anything like it.