bob794

hi. Acquired some ply (new) which i want to use for some platforms in my loft but i am concerned that in the very unlikely event it may contain some kind of rot  >  i would not want this being transmitted to my own timbers up there.  what may be could i paint the timbers with before i placed them down on the existing joists.  and would it be best to coat the new and the existing timbers before laying down. any advice would be welcome as i would rather trash everything rather  than give my self problems at a later date.   thanks  bob

5 minutes ago, bob794 said:

hi. Acquired some ply (new) which i want to use for some platforms in my loft but i am concerned that in the very unlikely event it may contain some kind of rot  >  i would not want this being transmitted to my own timbers up there.  what may be could i paint the timbers with before i placed them down on the existing joists.  and would it be best to coat the new and the existing timbers before laying down. any advice would be welcome as i would rather trash everything rather  than give my self problems at a later date.   thanks  bob

If the sheets are new why would you suspect rot?

Ply is not likely to have the same issues that normal timber will see, but that is not the rule, ply is mostly damaged, with enough exposure, from water damage and starts to peel/flake. So unless there are these signs I would not worry.

If you are very concerned I would treat the original timbers with some of that Dulux Trade wood preservative which also stops little beasties, wood worm etc. However, in all honesty, I'd just inspect it and check it all seems fine.

Construction timber often gets wet and isn't usually a cause for concern, up here I see OSB and ply decks on builds sitting with what can only be described as swimming pools on them for months on end and are all OK.

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 1

hi. thanks for your reply.  well this ply has been in this guys entry for some time before it was passed on to me and although it looks ok  i would rather be safe than sorry as i am sure you know the problem it would cause if there was anything in it.  my loft timbers are very narrow and supported by metal joist hangers. in fact there is quite a lot of metal and only the bare minimum amount of timber as my place was built at the end of the war when timber was scarce (hence the metal joist hangers)  its just i would rather do something now just in case (however unlikely) rather than regret it later on.. i did get a very bad case of rot transmission in an extension back in the 80s  and i had to replace the entire floor but that was through  damp transmission which i sorted. and then there was another occasion in my workshop when i bought some victorian reclaimed timber which looked great but unfortunately had the rot in it and eventually went rotten that i had to replace that as well so i am sure you can see my  concern having been bitten twice before..

Even dry rot needs damp conditions to exist, so if your roof space is dry, you shouldn't have a problem.  As above, if you really want to treat it with something, use one of the rot/infestation treatment fluids (Screwfix sell some, but its widely available).  While you're at it, you could always put it in a sprayer and do your roof timbers too...

1 hour ago, bob794 said:

hi. thanks for your reply.  well this ply has been in this guys entry for some time before it was passed on to me and although it looks ok  i would rather be safe than sorry as i am sure you know the problem it would cause if there was anything in it.  my loft timbers are very narrow and supported by metal joist hangers. in fact there is quite a lot of metal and only the bare minimum amount of timber as my place was built at the end of the war when timber was scarce (hence the metal joist hangers)  its just i would rather do something now just in case (however unlikely) rather than regret it later on.. i did get a very bad case of rot transmission in an extension back in the 80s  and i had to replace the entire floor but that was through  damp transmission which i sorted. and then there was another occasion in my workshop when i bought some victorian reclaimed timber which looked great but unfortunately had the rot in it and eventually went rotten that i had to replace that as well so i am sure you can see my  concern having been bitten twice before..

Honestly, I think you are worrying about nothing, and I think through and over engineering everything! I paint the cut ends of treated wood and all the cut ends of my roof structure etc so I am hearing you, but I think too much worry. Get it up there!

Damp transmission is from damp, is this ply damp?

When you say lying in his entry what do you mean? Inside his house? Does he have a termite infestation or woodworm?

As I say, use that nasty, Carbopadox stuff or whatever it is (I have used it on all out important timbers in potentially damp areas) and it claims to stop more or less everything that attacks wood.