Which sealant to glue a cavity wall meterbox into position.

epsilonGreedy

As per my other electrical post a few minutes ago, I need to fix my cavity wall meterbox firmly into position, pronto. It is currently live and feeding a temporary CU in the house and is so full of electrical gubbins I cannot fix it with screws into the brick wall.

A visiting DNO surveyor helpfully suggested using sealant to glue it in position with a couple of wooden props to force it flush to the wall while the sealant sets.

The cabling in and out of the meterbox in the cavity wall seems to be resisting my attempts to push the meterbox facia fully flush to the wall, so this sealant needs to be grippy and strong. What sort of sealant should I use?

18 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Drill a couple of holes through each side and expanding foam through the holes. Better than using sealant.

Brilliant idea. Should I buy the low expanding stuff otherwise I am worried about the foam will push in the sides of the plastic meterbox?

I was anticipating a multi year struggle with the sealant loosing its grip and the meterbox popping out a few inches.

p.s. all this hassle originates from a lucky break which saved me a few £100 as the supply was shifted from the builders supply on stilts into the cavity wall. The DNO had to reconnect me from a spur originating from my other self build neighbour to a direct link to the public road. Because I had overseen the original trench digging for the builders supply I knew the temporary supply cable could be extracted 30m through the underground conduit saving them the reel of cable they had brought to the job.

My reward for this suggestion is that the DNO team rerouted and reconnect the supply through the hockey stick into the cavity meterbox. They left me to hard fix the box into the cavity.  

Edited by epsilonGreedy