ASHP, vented clynder, etc:- final decision made

So we have been thinking about the option for months. We have ended up with a building that is well insulated, will be reasonably airtight but not near passive. We have had to ditch MVHR due to too many issues with steels in the way.  We have ended up skint due to rogue builder and I have had to fully build the house myself from the ground floor timber walls up. 

We have now taken the very unpopular decision to go with a gas combi-boiler.  Our thinking is as follows:-

•  We cant have PV on site due to planning restrictions
  •  We are mega cash poor at the moment
  •  We have to move in end of Sep
  •  2 of us in house, 2 bathrooms, rarely will there be more than 1 shower on at a time
  •  Limited space for hot water tank, oh and we are skint btw ?

So we can get a gas connection to the house for £320 (and that's them doing all trench work!), we can get a decent combi boiler for a grand or less.  Any (gas safe)  plumber can fit a gas combi boiler, simples and the amount of plumbing we need the skilled plumber to do v me is low. That will also free up plenty of spare power for hot tub, car charger (if we get one), etc.  We can run UFH downstairs and wet rads upstairs. No mains pressure shower, but then that uses more water and that costs. We could even use a elec shower downstairs, would only be used occasionally so cost nada to run, and I have a 10.5kw one sitting in my 'box of bits'. so FOC really.

Any other option, no matter how hard we look, would take years to get a decent payback.  On our current bungalow (gas combi boiler, cooker, rest elec) we pay £900 fixed all in for gas and elec.  We will get a similar deal for new build. Even with all the energy savings gadgets, if we halved the energy bill it would be years to get a decent payback.

But for us, if we cant get a new gas connection for 320 quid that makes it the simplest and cheapest option.

• Like 1

Don't beat yourself up over this, self-building doesn't have to be a hair-shirt wearing competition. Your reasoning makes perfect sense and there's a lot to be said for getting on and getting it done with the funds available.  And sounds like the core fabric of the build is good so you'll need less heating whatever source it's from.

I mean, we had to pay best part of £1000 to have the mains gas disconnected from our passive house renovation. Considering factors immediately in your control , your decision is far more logical than ours!

Put the gas combi in, and in the feed and return to the boiler heating put an isolator on the feed to the boiler side followed by a pair of tees on the feed and return and then run stubs and cap them off.

You can then decide if you want to replace the gas boiler in the heating circuit with an ASHP in the future. Also leaves the boiler as backup for the ASHP if needed by just opening the isolator. 

thanks, feels like ime giving up a bit, but we at that stage where we just don't have the luxury of doing anything but the quickest and cheapest way to get hot water and some form of heating, then we can hunker down and spend a couple of 3 months recovering funds before getting on with the inside stuff

• Like 1

Sounds like the right thing to do. I’m my opinion gas is still the best option if you can do it.

You can always change it in the future if you feel like it... although the luxury of a quick responding system is something that you may not want to give up. 

Maybe plan for a hybrid system as per PeterW suggestion, then you can have the best of both worlds. ?