Garage Roof Repair

Onoff

My garage roof, never really done anything to it. Felted tiled and battens. Had cause today to go in during a power cut and saw chinks of light right up in the apex. Along the ridge the felt has sagged and fallen in in a few places. 

IMG_20200821_201457123.thumb.jpg.96863fc1b99f2db9df41938063f20581.jpg

IMG_20200821_201518147.thumb.jpg.43d5017e5953f2e715ce43e2b57f2e11.jpg

Got up there with a halogen lamp. It looks as though the ridge has been covered by a roll's width of felt folded down the middle.

So not a big job, straddle the roof, take off the ridge tiles and maybe a couple of rows down including the battens. 

Before I redo the felt should I maybe "sark" say a foot strip either side of the ridge? I'd set the sarking boards flush with the face of the trusses.

Not sure what the norm is!

Cheers

Edited by Onoff

Once you are used to the Scottish way, with solid sarking boards, it seems so primitive the English way, just to string a bit of bitumen roof felt from truss to truss. Then wonder why it deteriorates and tears.

If it's not leaking water in i doubt I would fix it.

11 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Once you are used to the Scottish way, with solid sarking boards, it seems so primitive the English way, just to string a bit of bitumen roof felt from truss to truss. Then wonder why it deteriorates and tears.

If it's not leaking water in i doubt I would fix it.

I can see sky, I'd rather do it now than the depths of Winter. 

Sad thing is the garage roof is in better nick than the one on the house! ? Actually I reckon sort this ridge (and hips) and all good. Not sure what the felt is like down at the eaves yet. 

16 minutes ago, ProDave said:

If you can see sky, the problem is with the tiling, which can really only be broken tiles or tiles laid to the wrong gauge.

From the YouTube videos I've watched you're supposed to have a "flat" piece of tile, sitting on the tiles either side, to support the muck before you fit the ridge tile. Looking here the muck is just under the long edges of the ridges tiles. Whether there's any mortar in the curved joint between ridge tiles is down to luck it appears!

I wonder if I could use cloaking boards to support the mortar at the ridge tile joints?

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Re do it with a dry ridge system, SO much easier.  I did a wet ridge on a previous garage and it was a faff. A dry ridge system is so much easier.

Did cross my mind actually. Any pointers to what system?

I have done wet ridges and hips but not now, dry systems all the way, timber moves, Mortor (relatively) does not. Last time I did a wet ridge was on my garage in a very windy location so drilled a hole in the centre of each ridge tile and used a long roofing screw to stop it lifting, it never moved in 20 years.